Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Grandson allowed to pee in woods next to park

Tinarose21 · 05/08/2022 07:33

I know this subject has came up before but it’s an obvious a subject of contention. Yesterday was at a local park with my daughter & grandson who is just five, pee up a tree blatantly in a spinney next to a park. Normally this wouldn’t bother me but he turned facing us and said watch don’t walk in the train! He seemed quite proud about it, I was quite shocked aswell as my eleven year old daughter who was stood there with me! Also only a five min walk to the toilets , she did say he’s always asking to go but just seemed like the easy option with the toilet so close. My older daughter also lets him pee in their back garden, something I only have let happen with my boys in emergencies the same as when we’ve been out! I know he’s young now just seems disrespectful of his surroundings/nature and I guess not teaching him well for his adult life! I felt I had to say something afterwards but my older daughter just brushed it off saying it’s something boys do! 😬

OP's posts:
Please
or

MintJulia · 05/08/2022 10:15

Emergencies only and very private.

Otherwise it's unhygienic and unpleasant for others 😕

Please
or

HavfrueDenizKisi · 05/08/2022 10:16

Icannever · 05/08/2022 09:42

Honestly I don’t think it’s double standards. Boys genuinely seem to need the toilet more and cannot hold it in well, my son would struggle at five to make it the five minutes to the toilet. He seemed to need all of a sudden and then the need was urgent straight away.
He should be taught to find a discreet spot though and not wave his wee around. That is odd.

That's typical enabling rubbish and excuse making right there

Please
or

Anotherdayanotherdisappointment · 05/08/2022 10:19

Pretty much echoing others. Desperate and no access to a toilet, discrete wee is fine. But a 5yo should be able to hold it 10mins or so to get to a toilet.

I have asked DH to pee around the fence in the garden to deter foxes though - but he's a decent responsible adult who knows that was a one off (well 3goes to do all the way around) for a specific purpose.

Please
or

FourOclock · 05/08/2022 10:36

I really worry about this. I have two children, aged 3 and 2, one with ASD. We live on a farm so outdoor wees are just normal life for all of us, tractors don't come with a loo!! So the kids have grown up seeing us popping into the bushes for a wee etc a lot. Which has led to them pulling down their pants outdoors in less appropriate settings.

I'm trying to teach them about when it's not okay to wee outside but it's so hard for them to get their head around why doing a wee in a bush in a field is okay but not beside a park for example, it's just a bush to them. I'm also trying to teach them about privacy etc around their bodies. Not helped by the fact my ASD eldest had a real fear of 'different' toilets after lockdown, and then starting a preschool after lockdown where he was too scared to ask to go to the loo so ended up wetting himself. We moved him to an outdoor forest preschool and they allowed him to do 'wild wees' up against trees to help his transition but hasn't helped with the confusion of when it's okay to wee outside or not!

I know this isn't the same situation as OP but all the comments are worrying me about what an awful job I'm doing at teaching them 🙈

Please
or

womaninatightspot · 05/08/2022 10:51

tbh a wild wee is often more sanitary than the public loos at one of our local parks. Coin operated 20p thing, desperately in need of a good scrub. Other park has no loo and a designated wee bush used by many children of both sexes. As a general rule they shouldn’t be able seen from the path and enough in the woods that there is not a “trail”. Kids aren’t allowed to wee in the garden but I’m rural so we set up a base camp trampoline, ninjaline, swings type stuff a five minute walk from the house. Children wee in those woods as does the dog, cat, escapee sheep from neighbouring field and any number of wild animals. A bit of wee will be washed away in the rain it’s really not worth worrying about.

Please
or

Livpool · 05/08/2022 11:10

My DS is 6 and occasionally needs to do a wee in the park etc. - if there are no toilets we take him away and into a wooded area.

When he was about 3 or 4 my MIL let him pee in her garden - we put a stop to that asap and had a word. That was disgusting

Please
or

Livpool · 05/08/2022 11:15

girlmom21 · 05/08/2022 09:26

Telling you all to watch and making it obvious is a much bigger issue to me than the actual weeing

Yeah that is weird sorry

Please
or

WeAllHaveWings · 05/08/2022 12:54

Anotherdayanotherdisappointment · 05/08/2022 10:19

Pretty much echoing others. Desperate and no access to a toilet, discrete wee is fine. But a 5yo should be able to hold it 10mins or so to get to a toilet.

I have asked DH to pee around the fence in the garden to deter foxes though - but he's a decent responsible adult who knows that was a one off (well 3goes to do all the way around) for a specific purpose.

He actually worked his way around the perimeter of your garden while peeing? 😂

I get the theory, but surely using a jug in would have made more sense and more considerate to any neighbours who must have thought he was mad!

Please
or

justasking111 · 05/08/2022 13:14

www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/8-reasons-why-you-should-pee-your-garden.html

You should read this if you're concerned.

Septic tanks are used to fertilize the land. That nasty smelly stuff farmers put on fields isn't unicorn dropping

Please
or

Anotherdayanotherdisappointment · 05/08/2022 15:57

@weallhavewings

Neither of us thought of a jug! That would have made a lot more sense. It's not a big garden so he managed 1 fence per wee, but next time we'll use a jug!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?