Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

For free parenting resources please check out the Early Years Alliance's Family Corner.

Parenting

FTM Worries - is my baby ok?

7 replies

CinnamonHamster · 03/07/2022 11:00

Hi everyone, I just want to start by saying I have raised these concerns to GP and HV who have both regularly checked and said baby is fine so not sure if I'm just having FTM anxiety or if I'm right in sensing something isn't right.

This'll be really long so a brief overview is - my DS is EBF and 9 weeks old, he was born through c section full term with no complications. Since birth he has been diagnosed with Laryngomalacia and has always been congested so noisy breathing, snoring and squeaky feeding.

Symptoms:

• Noisy breathing and congested mucusy nose but still able to breathe normally (no mouth breathing)
  • Sleeps a lot (12-3.30am - 4ish to 6.30am - 7.30ish to 10am then a couple long day naps and shorter evening naps)
  • Spitting up after every feed (sometimes curdled and sometimes not)
  • Very windy and struggles to pass gas
  • Constantly bloated hard tummy
  • Strains hard to poop
  • Normal nappies plenty wet & dirty but sometimes mucus in poop (otherwise yellow & seedy)
  • Very unsettled of an evening - lots of crying and comfort feeding and only calms in warm bath.
  • Occasional whimpering and crying in sleep
  • Didn't gain weight beyond birth weight until 4 weeks old
  • Urine infection at 5 weeks old

He has awake times in the day where he plays with us, smiles and interacts well. I have mentioned CMPA and lactose intolerance to healthcare professionals who think it unlikely as his poops are normal and skin is fine. He just gets so unsettled and in pain with his tummy and I can't work out what it is. I've tried gripe water to no avail, the gaviscon made no difference to constant spit ups so GP said to stop that and continue to keep him upright after feed etc.

Any advice? Is this just a normal but windy baby or should I be pushing for more assessments?
OP posts:
Please
or

Flopisfatteningbingforchristmas · 03/07/2022 11:25

Lactose intolerance is very unlikely in a baby. For
your own piece of mind I would try dairy and soya free for 6 weeks and then challenge each one separately. Check with Kellymom to make sure you are getting calcium vitamin D and iodine (oatley and asda own milk are nutritionally very good).

Please
or

HairyFeline · 03/07/2022 11:33

I’ve mentioned Colief drops to a few posters on here with similar babies, OP. That’s because I used it when my DD was behaving the same and it made such a difference very quickly. Worth a try, I’d say.

Please
or

CinnamonHamster · 03/07/2022 14:59

Thank you - got some Colief drops ordered going to see if they help x

OP posts:
Please
or

CinnamonHamster · 03/07/2022 15:00

Yeah I was debating it anyway but worried about calcium intake etc as it says do under doctor supervision but will likely try anyway and see if it helps x

OP posts:
Please
or

WorryMcGee · 03/07/2022 15:09

My 11 week old has laryngomalacia and she is the the same. Constantly spitting up, noisy grunty breathing, whistling, hiccuping, sleeps a lot but writhes around while doing it, strains and is gassy, and didn’t get back to her birth weight (of 6lb 6!) until she was 5 weeks old. Gaviscon did nothing but constipate her. I We are formula feeding as breastfeeding was a disaster and she desperately needed to start putting on weight (I have since found out that babies with laryngomalacia often struggle to latch deeply enough and that was certainly my experience) and finding a milk that suits her, infacol and burping every ounce (feeding takes bloody ages) and liquid omeprazole have made a massive difference. I wondered about allergies before we got the laryngomalacia diagnosis two weeks ago. Her skin and nappies are fine, so I’m sure it’s the laryngomalacia and associated reflux that causes all the issues.

Please
or

WoundTheBobbinUp · 03/07/2022 15:19

He sounds exactly like my DD who had laryngomalacia. I was so worried about her! She's 2 now and all the symptoms were gone by her first birthday Smile

Please
or

NaatQ968 · 25/01/2023 22:20

This sounds like how my daughter was from birth till 6 weeks... we changed her milk and she's a new baby!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?