Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Nursery don’t apply sun cream

swer1534 · 12/05/2022 18:34

Nursery have announced they won’t be applying sun cream this summer and requested all children come in with long sleeve tops and trousers and a proper sun hat. Said this is due to the time it takes to apply and change gloves ? Never heard of this before?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Russell19 · 12/05/2022 18:35

Just put an all day suncream kn your child in the morning

Please
or

Russell19 · 12/05/2022 18:36

On

Please
or

MolliciousIntent · 12/05/2022 18:36

This is very common! Takes a fucking age to put suncream on a room full of wriggling toddlers, add in the mess from smeary escapees and the chaos from the inevitable meltdowns and it makes perfect sense. Put a 12hr cream on first thing and cover them up.

Please
or

cliffdiver · 12/05/2022 18:37

This is standard in nurseries and schools.

8 hr suncream just before you drop off.

Please
or

Cheesewiz · 12/05/2022 18:37

Just buy the 8 hr Sun cream

Please
or

Aroundtheworldin80moves · 12/05/2022 18:38

Honestly... I don't blame them. Not because of the time excuse, but the potential fall out if a child burns or refuses suncream. This puts the responsibility on parents.

Please
or

Hugasauras · 12/05/2022 18:39

Ours asks for sun cream to be applied before they go and it gets reapplied at lunchtime. DD has sun cream that stays at nursery.

Please
or

mynameiscalypso · 12/05/2022 18:40

Ours does apply suncream but also asks for hats and long sleeves/trousers. Very sensible I think. It's a bloody nightmare trying to apply it to one wriggly toddler, let alone a whole class of them. Far safer to be covered up.

Please
or

honeybushbunch · 12/05/2022 18:41

Use the 8-12hr sunscreen - it’s expensive, but you use less and I find it very effective. They have to wear it for school anyway, as school won’t apply sunscreen.

We use Ultrasun - it costs a fair bit but DD with sensitive skin doesn’t react to it, and I find it works really well.

Please
or

bakey9 · 12/05/2022 18:52

P20 is good too

Please
or

Crystalvas · 12/05/2022 19:12

Thats ridicolous my dc’s nurcery requests that patents provide sun cream for their DC. They put it on when the children are going outside. Never heard such nonsence.

Please
or

Abridget7 · 12/05/2022 19:12

Imagine trying to put sunscreen on a room full of toddlers to go out and play for 45mins...
Now there's your answer.

Please
or

Soubriquet · 12/05/2022 19:13

A lot of nursery’s and schools for that matter have that policy now.

Wilko’s sell an all day childrens sun cream that works wonders.

I also have a solar buddy for my two so they can reapply it without getting their hands all sticky

Please
or

Crystalvas · 12/05/2022 19:13

It takes a couple if sec’s per child. Nothing complicated about it.

Please
or

Crystalvas · 12/05/2022 19:15

Abridget7

Imagine trying to put sunscreen on a room full of toddlers to go out and play for 45mins...
Now there's your answer.

It takes a couple sec’s per child. Nothing complicated about it.

Please
or

APurpleSquirrel · 12/05/2022 19:15

DS's nursery did this last year, except DS reacts to those 12hr sunscreens, so we just had to apply the sunscreen he was ok with in the morning & hope he didn't get sunburn!
We've since moved him to a preschool & they do apply sunscreen thankfully.

Please
or

LondonQueen · 12/05/2022 19:18

Get a 24 hour zinc oxide suncream and apply it on a morning.

Please
or

LondonQueen · 12/05/2022 19:19

12 hour sorry not 24!

Please
or

mynameiscalypso · 12/05/2022 19:27

Crystalvas

Ha! It takes me at least 5 mins to grapple with my reluctant toddler. I can't imagine having to do 18 of them while they wind each other up...

Please
or

Crystalvas · 12/05/2022 21:00

mynameiscalypso

Crystalvas

Ha! It takes me at least 5 mins to grapple with my reluctant toddler. I can't imagine having to do 18 of them while they wind each other up...

What an exaggeration. You are suggesting one person to 18 children in nursey, that would be against regulations.

Please
or

namechange30455 · 12/05/2022 21:04

Crystalvas

Abridget7

Now there's your answer.

It takes a couple sec’s per child. Nothing complicated about it.

If it only takes you a couple of seconds to put suncream on a nursery age child then I don't think you're doing it thoroughly enough!

Please
or

Italiandreams · 12/05/2022 21:09

Our nursery always does it although I put it on in the morning. I understand at school where the ratio could be 1:30 but at nursery it’s much smaller ratios. I have seen them do it , it’s like a military operation. They are fab.

Please
or

Abc986 · 12/05/2022 21:09

My childs nursery prefer if we pay the 'suncream' fee each year which is £3.50 for them to use i their chosen suncream which is nivea i think, i have no problem with that, saves me remebering to put it in the bag or give them a whole bottle for the 1 day a week he does but then want us to bring them in with suncream already on, just dosent make sense!

Please
or

arethereanyleftatall · 12/05/2022 21:10

If putting on sunscreen takes a couple of seconds, you're doing it wrong.

Please
or

loveisanopensore · 12/05/2022 21:12

Same.
We put P20 on her and she usually dresses in something light but long sleeved and a hat.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.