Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

2.5 year old diagnosed with autism

Nat90 · 27/04/2022 13:11

As it reads really, had the paediatric appointment this morning.

We were half expecting it but it’s still a shock to be told. I feel so upset right now and so worried about her future. We’re expecting our 2nd in 3 weeks and I can’t process this information.
Dont really know what Im expecting by posting this…

OP's posts:
Please
or

triflinpud · 27/04/2022 16:47

Just joining to offer a virtual hug. When my two were diagnosed (same age as yours), I expected it and yet I still felt emotional.

I haven’t been on the SN boards in ages but I found SN Chat on here very helpful at the time, if you’re not yet on there.

Practically speaking, if you haven’t already, then when you’re in the right frame of mind for it make sure you get everything you can support-wise - eg DLA, possibly Carers Allowance if eligible, an EHCP when approaching education if you send your DC to school, a Short Breaks budget from from your Council… easiest way to check out what might be available is to look at entitledto website for benefits, and also search for ‘your Council + local offer’ to find your local offer info for SN.

It can feel a bit overwhelming at first, just processing everything and adjusting to different expectations. Go easy on yourself, and keep enjoying your family and your time together, and your DC’s growth and development. Try not to worry about things that haven’t happened. Focus on today and everything that you can do and make the most of. Also remember the phrase ‘When you’ve met one person with autism, you’ve met one person with autism’. Autistic people are no less diverse than anyone else in the world, each person has their strengths and challenges, so try not to anticipate what may or may not be a challenge (or a strength!).

I’m years on from diagnosis and my DCs are amazing, I’m so proud of them, but I’m not measuring them against an objective (or perhaps, arbitrary…) standard set by anyone else. I’m watching their progress against themselves, as it were, and we have a great time.

💐

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.