My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For free parenting resources please check out the Early Years Alliance's Family Corner.

Parenting

Baby carriers

26 replies

BumpLoading · 03/01/2022 15:59

If you’re a baby carrier user can you tell me which one you use please? I have a 3 month old and keen to get a carrier for walks however there seems to be so much choice I’m unsure what would be best but also easiest to put on?
Have a sling but baby doesn’t love it (just tries to feed anytime he goes near my chest)
I did have a carrier with my first but bought a cheapo one and hardly used it as it was so tricky to put on so would love a carrier which is easy to put on by myself? Happy to spend £100 / £150 or so as appreciate the baby Bjorns and ergo baby’s are all around that much

OP posts:
AliceW89 · 03/01/2022 16:02

Hire a few from a sling library first would be my recommendation. One person’s dream sling won’t work for another. A lot of MN users love ergo baby slings, but I couldn’t get on with them at all. The Tula Explore worked a lot better for me and DH. They are so expensive you don’t want to get it wrong!

Caspianberg · 03/01/2022 16:05

Had ergo embrace the first 9 months which I loved . Used daily.
Ergo 360 I tried 3-18 ish months on and off but it never really felt comfy or fitted properly compared to embrace.
Just swapped the ergo for a Tula toddler and I love it.

So for 3 month old I would say ergo embrace, or try the Tula version from newborn.

I think the main reason I hated the ergo was it could be used forward facing as well, so there was so much extra bulky fabric around leg areas. We really never used outwards facing so a waste ( was a gift)

Garman · 03/01/2022 16:07

Make sure whatever you get is ergonomic, baby sits with legs and bum making an M shape, head close enough for you to kiss, no snowsuit or suits that toes get squished up in, all the baby wearing guidelines. Front facing should only be done for 20 mins at a time, one that can be worn on your back for baby to face forward that way when older is better.

Sweetpea1989 · 03/01/2022 16:09

Ergo 360 omni here, love it and use it daily.

Username7521 · 03/01/2022 16:12

Another ergo and Tula carrier.
Ergo until about 2, Tula until just before 4 (god I wish I could find a carrier for a 4 year old)
Slings library is a must. There are so many options which fit different bodies that getting professional advice is key.

Changelingbutonlyforme · 03/01/2022 16:14

World facing is fun for a limited period of time. We liked it from about 4-5 months until maybe 12months but he feeling very heavy in that position by then. We had an ergobaby 360. It work ed great for us until about 18-20 months and then we switched to a tula toddler which is much better at the size he is now because it’s wider so his legs dangle less and he feels less heavy. If we were buying again I wouldn’t bother getting something world facing. The tulas ergobaby carriers have pretty similar shoulder and waist straps. They suit most people but if you’re particularly petite or narrow shouldered it might not work for you. Tula also do half wrap slings - so a buckled waist band and tied shoulder straps. They look very comfortable but I’ve not tried one.

Woodlandwater · 03/01/2022 16:14

I had a boba and a Tula. Liked both but loved the Tula, it was so comfy and easy to use. The key is to set it up immaculately for you and don't change the straps once you've done that. Don't let anyone else use it, if DH needs one get a second one.

Changelingbutonlyforme · 03/01/2022 16:15

@Username7521
Tula make a preschool size that’s supposed to fit a 4year old. It’s bigger than the toddler size.

danyD29 · 03/01/2022 16:19

After trying 4 different ones I can say the best one for us was the ergobaby. Best support for your back 👍

Sixtonskip · 03/01/2022 16:24

I have a Beco Gemini and I love it. About £110 new I think but I got one second hand barely used on EBay for half that price. I did join a sling library and try a few and the Gemini was my favourite. It can do front carry facing in and out and back carry for when they get bigger. You can also use it for a hip carry which I didn’t find particularly comfortable.

BertieBotts · 03/01/2022 16:34

Wear loose or stretchy clothing, see if you can jiggle him a bit lower and feed him with the sling on. Game changer and you'll probably find he relaxes into it after feeding.

They are all a similar position at this age so you won't be able to get away from the feeding issue, leaning into it might help?

Fallagain · 03/01/2022 17:18

Manduca for me but slings are like bras, what is comfortable on me might not be on you. Definitely try some out from a sling library.

MumsyMalone · 03/01/2022 19:17

I have a Nuna CUDL which I absolutely love! My baby also hated the sling, but in the Nuna he settles and enjoys looking around and taking naps. I also found it easier than the Ergobaby Omni to adjust, and it gives great back support- he’s 7 months and 20lbs, so far no back pain. Like pp, I don’t share with DH, he has a Minimeis to carry baby on his shoulders (for babies over 6mo).

MangoM · 03/01/2022 19:25

@Sixtonskip

I have a Beco Gemini and I love it. About £110 new I think but I got one second hand barely used on EBay for half that price. I did join a sling library and try a few and the Gemini was my favourite. It can do front carry facing in and out and back carry for when they get bigger. You can also use it for a hip carry which I didn’t find particularly comfortable.

We tried a few at our local sling library and ended up buying the Beco Gemini too. I'm quite petite and it was the one that didn't swamp me, and my husband (average build) found that one comfy too.

We bought ours for £70 from the sale section of the Beco website.
Letsallscreamatthesistene · 03/01/2022 19:25

Ergo 360 here. I found it very comfy and I was able to carry my hefty, 98th centile baby around the woods with no issue

Anybridget7 · 03/01/2022 19:29

Another fan of Ergobaby Omni.
Didn't get on well with the Baby Bjorn slings. Back was better supported with Ergo.

BumpLoading · 03/01/2022 19:44

Thanks for all the advice, lots of carriers to look into as hadn’t heard of a couple of them.
I assumed sling libraries were just for slings so will see if there is one near me then!
Thanks for all the info @Garman I knew about the m shape for the hips but didn’t know any of the other guidelines so will definitely read up on that!

OP posts:
lustforlife · 03/01/2022 20:31

Tula Free to Grow. Have used it everyday since my DD was 3 months old and still use it now at 17 months Smile

RedRobyn2021 · 03/01/2022 21:05

I have an Ergobaby 360 cool mesh, it's good but I kind of wish I'd tried a Tula because they look so nice

My daughter used to cry like that for milk when I put her in the sling / carrier

Inthesky42 · 03/01/2022 21:30

We have a manduca which works well on front and back when baby is older. Very comfortable for me and baby. Doesn't do world facing but from what I understand that's not very good for baby's back or hips (if you look at them they're basically being carried by their crotch and their backs aren't in a natural position) you need baby Close enough to kiss, M shaped legs, nice rounded comfortable back facing into you.

Appleseesaw · 03/01/2022 21:44

Beco Gemini cool. Fantastic carrier. I was convinced I wanted an ergo, but I tried it on and it swamped me. It felt too bulky and just didn’t feel right. The Tula was the same. The Beco Gemini Cool has less padding around the shoulders and this suited me so much better. Ergos and Tulas are excellent carriers and may well suit you perfectly, but if you find they feel a bit bulky, do look at the Beco.

Newmother321 · 04/01/2022 12:20

Ergobaby Omni 360 here and love it! She will only nap when on a walk so I currently walk about 4 hours everyday and my back is still surprisingly holding up!

Harrysmummy246 · 04/01/2022 13:34

[quote Changelingbutonlyforme]@Username7521
Tula make a preschool size that’s supposed to fit a 4year old. It’s bigger than the toddler size.[/quote]
Hahahaha.

Tried this with our big size TUla the other week to go round the Delamere lights trail as it was dark and raining. Cannot get the straps in the right places and DS pretty much killed me. He's a sturdy 20kg 4.5 yo (so yes, well above an average 4yo)

Speaking of which, that's just reminded me to wash it and put it on market place, thanks!

BertieBotts · 04/01/2022 14:49

Pouchlings also make preschool carriers for age 4-6 years. I don't know if anything makescarrying a child of that size comfortable.

DappledThings · 04/01/2022 15:09

Another Beco Gemini fan. Used ours from 8 weeks to 3.5 years with two children so absolutely worth the money

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.