Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Discharge/mucus in baby's nappy

lukiebebe · 30/12/2021 20:05

Hi all,
I won't share a picture I will just explain. My son who is 4 months and formula fed C&G...every now and again has mucus in his poop it's stringy and I've been told that's normal, but today he passed a huge blob/lump of mucus discharge (size of a 50p) that was a cloudy colour. I called 111 (who took forever) and I called health visitor. In the end HV got in contact and I explained everything and she said that it's normal and if he's okay in himself (which he is) then it's totally fine and not to worry etc.. she also said not to bother calling 111, so I didn't.

I'm happy that she's reassured me it's normal, but just wanted peace of mind to know if any other parents here have experienced this before? It's was a large lump of it and very unusual for him. HV said it's probably mixture of saliva and undigested milk but it just seemed so odd!

Anyone? Xx

OP's posts:
Please
or

lukiebebe · 05/01/2022 09:56

Just bumping as he's still pooping a lot and it's still very mucusy.

HV saying it's normal. 111 saying it's normal.

I can't see a dr yet as im changing dr so they haven't completed the form yet. I've asked if they could speed the process up as I really want my son to be seen and they said "we will try our best we are just under staffed" which is fair enough I guess.

He's a happy baby, drinking well, doesn't cry unless tired or his teeth hurt. I don't know if it's an a&e thing because HV said as long as he's okay in himself etc then "I wouldn't worry"

They're saying it's teething but seriously that much mucus???

Could it be an intolerance?

Anyone else's little ones had this?

Thanks for reading x

OP's posts:
Please
or

WhatALump · 05/01/2022 10:02

My 5 had this when they were little ones and it’s totally normal! If they had colds/were snotty/teething they swallow the gunk and it comes out the other end x

Please
or

lukiebebe · 05/01/2022 22:01

@WhatALump hiya! Thanks for commenting and making me feel less worried! The fact you mentioned all 5 of yours had this reassures me. It's just so odd isn't it 🙈

OP's posts:
Please
or

babbi · 05/01/2022 22:06

Mine had that too , as @WhatALump said , it’s saliva and mucus coming out the other end ..
try not to worry , I understand it’s unnerving to see something a little strange ( and perhaps grotty! ) coming from your baby .

He’s fine in himself as you say .. it’s normal ..
Who knew motherhood would involve nappy content forensics !!

Please
or

Roxanna27 · 14/05/2022 23:58

Hi ladies,

i wanted to see if anyone had the same issue. I changed my baby’s formula to lactose free as my gp sugested and she had dihareea and mucus as well. She’s never had that before. She also has reflux so he suggested we should try that for a while but i stopped feeding her that after two bottles because it made her worse. Now I’m concerned about the mucus😩

Please
or

Flopisfatteningbingforchristmas · 15/05/2022 11:07

Roxanna27

Hi ladies,

i wanted to see if anyone had the same issue. I changed my baby’s formula to lactose free as my gp sugested and she had dihareea and mucus as well. She’s never had that before. She also has reflux so he suggested we should try that for a while but i stopped feeding her that after two bottles because it made her worse. Now I’m concerned about the mucus😩

This was very poor advice from your GP. It’s very, very rare for babies to be lactose intolerant and when it does happen it’s always almost genetic and family members will also be lactose intolerant. Cmpa and other allergies are much more prevalent.

Please
or

Roxanna27 · 17/05/2022 20:50

He’s suggested we try nutramigen which is for cows milk allergy. I’m just terrified to switch again. I don’t want to be upsetting her stomach even more.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.