My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For free parenting resources please check out the Early Years Alliance's Family Corner.

Parenting

Breast pump recommendations

25 replies

AliveAndSleeping · 28/11/2021 20:00

Ds is 3 months old and combination fed. I express once or twice a day (always about 30-45min) after breastfeeding and barely get about 40ml from both breasts.

I'm quite happy with my current breast pump (Philips Avent) as it's easy to use and clean and gives me a let down fairly quickly. However, it's more than 5 years old now, pretty loud and I was wondering if I might get more milk wth a new breastpump.

In particular, in looking at the Bellababy double pump. Has anyone used it? It seems to have great reviews and is very cheap. Does anyone know if it's got noth a letdown mode and a expressing mode? How do you operate the console if you need both hands to hold the pumps in place?

Also looking at the Medela flex swing single mainly because it's on offer and well... Because it's a Medela.

What do you think? Am super confused. Any input is hugely appreciated.

OP posts:
nanabow · 28/11/2021 20:17

I used a Spectra S1 double pump for both my children.

I used a couple of different pumps prior to buying the Spectra. The Spectra got me the best yield out of them all, and it did it in half the time.

Also make sure you are suing the right flange/funnel size. A correct fitting pump will give you better results.

uhohspaghettiohh · 28/11/2021 20:18

Ardo calypso is great x

AliveAndSleeping · 28/11/2021 20:20

Thank you. The spectra seems very expensive. How do you manage a double pump? How do you operate the console with no hands free?

OP posts:
nanabow · 28/11/2021 20:30

@AliveAndSleeping

Thank you. The spectra seems very expensive. How do you manage a double pump? How do you operate the console with no hands free?

It is on the pricey side but I felt it was worth it as I was pumping for 2-3 feeds a day.

I used a pumping bra so I didn't have to hold onto the bottles. Even if you're using a single pump I'd recommend spending £15 on a pumping bra to make it hands free.
purplesofachair · 28/11/2021 20:33

I used the Bellababy for 3 months while I was combi feeding and would recommend it.
I had support from the hospital feeding team and the midwife recommended it as a great value alternative to hospital grade pumps.

purplesofachair · 28/11/2021 20:34

And totally second getting a pumping bra for hands free!

PinkPlantCase · 28/11/2021 20:36

Hi, I’ve got the Lansinoh 2 in 1 pump and have been really happy with it.

It seemed like the best of the ones that weren’t really expensive.

It’s closed system, easy to clean and empties my breasts in about the same about of time as it takes baby to.

I’ll be using it full time when I go back to work.

PinkPlantCase · 28/11/2021 20:37

Oh and you can use the Lansinoh one as a double or a single pump

AliveAndSleeping · 28/11/2021 21:15

Oh no.so many options. Grin

What's a closed system?

OP posts:
LifeIsBusy · 28/11/2021 21:16

I went back to work ft when DS was 12 weeks and pumped at work until he was a year. I had a bella baby and a medela double pump and I sold the medela because it was pants so I used the Bella for the 8 months with no issues, easily got more than the medela.

I would say though that if you're only looking for the odd feed here and there id ditch the pump and get a Hakka or similar and hook it on when your LO feeds. It's circa £10 and takes the pressure off trying to pump post feedings. Triggers additional letdown on the other side when your LO is feeding.

AliveAndSleeping · 28/11/2021 21:23

@LifeIsBusy

I went back to work ft when DS was 12 weeks and pumped at work until he was a year. I had a bella baby and a medela double pump and I sold the medela because it was pants so I used the Bella for the 8 months with no issues, easily got more than the medela.

I would say though that if you're only looking for the odd feed here and there id ditch the pump and get a Hakka or similar and hook it on when your LO feeds. It's circa £10 and takes the pressure off trying to pump post feedings. Triggers additional letdown on the other side when your LO is feeding.

Thanks. Can you use the Bellababy as a single pump as well? Does it have a different let down and expression mode or just those ten different suction powers?
OP posts:
LifeIsBusy · 28/11/2021 22:19

You can use it as a single or double pump. It's got a 2 min let down phase followed by different powered sessions after letdown.

The battery life is actually quite decent as well so you don't feel like you're hooked up all the time 🤣.

AliveAndSleeping · 29/11/2021 02:32

Can you use anY breast pumping bra with any breast pump?

OP posts:
2021mumma · 29/11/2021 02:57

I have the Elvie, it’s pricey but worth every penny. Hands free can wear in bra and get on with other stuff without being attached to wires etc. Comes with an app that tells you how much it’s filling up and stops when the bottle is full. So glad I bought it.

Snorkello · 29/11/2021 06:34

Second the Elvie pump recommendation! Super easy as it means you get your life back. Total game changer to be hands free. Ridiculously expensive though. However the customer support is awesome. Anything broken gets replaced within days.

AliveAndSleeping · 29/11/2021 07:48

Just looked at the elvie. It looks really good. So convenient. Too expensive thoughSad

OP posts:
AliveAndSleeping · 29/11/2021 07:49

@LifeIsBusy

I was thinking about the Hakka but dc airways feeds on both sides. Also, I have pretty low flow (and supply) so not sure f a Hakka will get out much. I should have got it for the early days though.
OP posts:
PeterPomegranate · 29/11/2021 07:52

I rented a hospital grade breast pump. Think it was a Mendala. Excellent. And I sent it back when I was done with it.

LifeIsBusy · 29/11/2021 07:59

You can always increase demand with it. Put Lo the second boob and attach it to the first, you'll probably not get much to begin with but it will build up. Middle of the night feedings tend to be the best. Or you could put it on second boob whilst LO is feeding on 1 but only take a small amount then let LO feed. LO will demand the additional supply through longer nursing or additional feeds.

AliveAndSleeping · 29/11/2021 08:00

@PeterPomegranate

I rented a hospital grade breast pump. Think it was a Mendala. Excellent. And I sent it back when I was done with it.

How did you do that? I didn't know you could rent one.
OP posts:
Katieandthekids · 29/11/2021 08:35

Hire a hospital grade one to get supply up then you can start using a less powerful one. I hired Ardo and then used an elvie to pump feed my twins

AliveAndSleeping · 29/11/2021 09:43

@Katieandthekids

Hire a hospital grade one to get supply up then you can start using a less powerful one. I hired Ardo and then used an elvie to pump feed my twins

Just looked up the Medela website. You can hire a symphony plus for £47 a month..it's amazing. I wish I'd known that for my first. Is it worth it though considering I'm not exclusively pumping? It would be nice to improve my supply but I'm not sure that's possible at all in my case.

Also, how do you maintain a rented pump? Wash and sterilise? What happens if you break a part?
OP posts:

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

GuidingSpirit · 29/11/2021 09:53

@aliveandsleeping i also rent the symphony and it is a million times better than the medela swing single (which i started with). Im combi feeding and the infant feeding team told me a home pump isn't powerful enough to boost supply - only to maintain. I was only pumping 2-3 times a day (including a 3am pump) and it made a real difference. I then stopped after a couple of months when my supply was more stable. Im going to send it back next month when DD is 6months and im starting winding down BF in preparation for going back to work.

In terms of maintenance, you just do the same as you would at home. You dont send back the flanges and bottles etc, just the main pump. Mine hasnt broken so don't know about breakages, but i would assume you just get sent a replacement.

AliveAndSleeping · 29/11/2021 11:13

I think I'll look into renting it. Thanks for the help everyone. Smile

OP posts:
AliveAndSleeping · 29/11/2021 11:14

When did you pump? Immediately after breastfeeding?

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.