My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For free parenting resources please check out the Early Years Alliance's Family Corner.

Parenting

Brushing baby’s teeth

21 replies

IcedCoffeeAlways · 06/10/2021 10:40

Give me your best tips and tricks please 😅

DS is 11months and has decided that sticking his tongue out and clamping his mouth shut is the new way to go 😅 it’s turned into a daily battle 😬

OP posts:
Vicky1989x · 06/10/2021 10:43

My 17 month old does this too so I bought another toothbrush, I give her one to hold and one for me to brush her teeth.. I let her ‘brush’ my teeth whilst I brush hers… only way she lets me do it 😂

IcedCoffeeAlways · 06/10/2021 10:49

@Vicky1989x

My 17 month old does this too so I bought another toothbrush, I give her one to hold and one for me to brush her teeth.. I let her ‘brush’ my teeth whilst I brush hers… only way she lets me do it 😂

@Vicky1989x That was our game until he discovered he could clamp his mouth shut over the last few days 😅 this morning I eventually managed to get at his teeth by actually letting him brush my teeth - paste and all 😅 he found the foam hilarious and was laughing away so I could get in his mouth but the clean up was not fun so I can’t be doing that multiple times a day 😅🤣
OP posts:
Hungryinthefridge · 06/10/2021 10:51

Have you tried a kids electric toothbrush? You can get them for £3 odd from home bargains or superdrug. A bit expensive but my ds loves it when he said the others are too rough...weird because I was sure an electric would be the roughest. I also use a non-foaming, mild tasting toothpaste from amazon because the normal mint ones are "too spicy" haha. Kind of know what he means there.

IcedCoffeeAlways · 06/10/2021 11:14

@Hungryinthefridge I haven’t actually! I just assumed at 11months he’d be too young for anything like that! He loves the toothpaste so I don’t think that’s too much of an issue at the moment 🤞🏼

OP posts:
00100001 · 06/10/2021 11:17

Just keep going.

You don't have to brush their teeth perfectly twice every single day. Get him used to be fact that it will be happening twice a day, every day, he'll get over the clamping.

IcedCoffeeAlways · 06/10/2021 14:55

@00100001

Just keep going.

You don't have to brush their teeth perfectly twice every single day. Get him used to be fact that it will be happening twice a day, every day, he'll get over the clamping.

Thanks @00100001 - he was doing great until his last teething episode when it’s obviously been a bit uncomfortable for him and now it’s not going well!
OP posts:
ChillyB · 06/10/2021 14:58

Try the hey duggee toothbrush song on YouTube or the wiggles tooth brushing app. Both worked to get DS brushing his teeth again.

IcedCoffeeAlways · 06/10/2021 15:03

@ChillyB thanks, I’ll look them up 😊

OP posts:
Roo0987 · 06/10/2021 16:43

No advice but just to say I’m struggling with this too! My daughter also loves the taste of the toothpaste so sucks it all off the brush (without brushing) and can’t understand why I won’t keep topping it up 😂

Opalfeet · 06/10/2021 16:54

Little electric baby toothbrush, both kids loves them.

Opalfeet · 06/10/2021 16:57

This one

www.amazon.co.uk/Brush-Baby-Baby-Sonic-Electric-Toothbrush-color/dp/B00FGUUW16?tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21

Although the other electric toothbrushes seem to be 3 plus my dentist said there's no issue with little ones using them. We have moved on to a 3 plus one with my 19 month old 🤷‍♀️

Chelyanne · 06/10/2021 19:06

I just let them chomp on a toothbrush when you're small, the fruity toothpastes were better for them then. Older ones have oral B electric toothbrushes as it does most of the work for them, had them from around 3.

Chelyanne · 06/10/2021 19:06

**they're

IcedCoffeeAlways · 07/10/2021 09:55

@Roo0987 🤣 sounds like mine!

@Opalfeet That’s great, thank you! I had hoped to talk to the dentist and check but he won’t talk to me on the phone and our next appointment isn’t until the end of January

@Chelyanne he does love chewing on the toothbrush but he chews at the back of his mouth rather than the front where all his teeth are so just want to make sure they’re getting a good brush 😊

OP posts:
IcedCoffeeAlways · 12/10/2021 20:39

@Opalfeet I persevered for a couple more days then caved and ordered the toothbrush. Tried it tonight for the first time and it was NOT a hit 🙈🤣
Thinking back to when this started - it was a couple of days before we noticed spots on his hands and feet and found out he had hand, foot & mouth. I’m wondering if he’s had blisters in his mouth earlier (we couldn’t see any at all when we checked him) and it’s hurt him having his teeth brushed and it’s making him so reluctant now 😬 Not really sure where to go from here if that’s the case!

OP posts:
Saltisford · 12/10/2021 21:21

Weird but I suddenly had more success when lying him down in my arms like a baby rather than standing on a stool at the sink. No idea why!

takealettermsjones · 12/10/2021 21:24

@Vicky1989x Thank you thank you thank you!

Opalfeet · 12/10/2021 21:58

Ooh sorry the toothbrush don't work. What about putting something tasty I'm the toothbrush to try and get him to like it a bit. 🤷‍♀️ I have no idea really...just a random suggestion

Opalfeet · 12/10/2021 21:59

@Saltisford we laid our first born down and that worked. Second born likes to wander upstairs and have teeth brushed at the sink, but he just likes to copy big brother

Tee20x · 12/10/2021 22:12

I had a thread on this exact issue. Before I was using regular kids toothbrushes. But I picked up a silicone baby toothbrush from boots & it seems to have done the trick.

I think she enjoys chewing on this one because it feels like a teething toy & she actually lets me brush 8/10 times so hooray!

Tee20x · 12/10/2021 22:13

www.boots.com/brush-baby-my-first-brush-and-teether-set-10215600

This is the one. Comes with a regular baby toothbrush but the silicone one is the one I use.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.