My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For free parenting resources please check out the Early Years Alliance's Family Corner.

Parenting

What do we think of tablets?

40 replies

Cait73 · 05/10/2021 14:23

I'm looking at a kindle for my gs it's his 3rd Birthday in December, the kids Amazon fire looks really good but I don't know anyone who's got one??

What does it actually have on it and what can it do? And is it really suitable for a (pretty smart) 3 year old?

Thank you

---
MNHQ Update
This thread is a few years old now, but if you've come across it while looking for advice on tablets for kids, our guide to the best kids' tablets has been recently updated to reflect current releases and availability. With several options for children of all ages, each comes tried, tested and recommended by Mumsnet users. Hope it's helpful! Flowers

OP posts:
HungryHippo11 · 05/10/2021 15:58

Sorry OP do you actually want to hear what we think of tablets and whether they're suitable or not?

Cait73 · 05/10/2021 15:58

@HeyGirlHeyBoy I'm not amazing anyone else would do exactly what I've done but thank you

He plays well on his own for a single child tbh but I recently had viral gastroenteritis and couldn't ask for help as we were both contagious, it was a very tricky couple of days

OP posts:
RestingPandaFace · 05/10/2021 16:01

If you are looking to buy one @Cait73 there’s a kids fire (an older one) on treasure truck today.

www.amazon.co.uk/ttgo?tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21

Lazypuppy · 05/10/2021 16:57

My dd has one, we got it for her 3rd birthday and we love it. She can watch disney plus and kids netflix, and play all the free games. You can set all the parental controls and have it switch off at certain times

ChildrenGrowingUpTooFast · 05/10/2021 18:37

And to those saying tablets are for 10+. DC2 is in year 2 and they have homework on mathletics from year R. Year 1 gets numbots and education city too. And year 2 has time table rock star. Even if you don’t buy them a tablet, they need to use one by 4.

ChildrenGrowingUpTooFast · 05/10/2021 18:38

This has changed very rapidly. My older one didn’t get tablet home work at year R.

OppsUpsSide · 05/10/2021 18:40

This is sad leave the technology for 10+

Please don’t. A child’s Kindle is a good idea, yes there are some safety aspects to be vigilant about, much like taking them swimming or teaching them to ride a bike!

riotlady · 05/10/2021 18:45

Honestly we tried it (not at all opposed to tech) and it turned my 3yo into a monster, we had to ban it. So I would tread carefully and not go for anything too expensive in case he’s just not ready

Timeturnerplease · 05/10/2021 18:45

My Mum bought our daughter a Kindle Fire for her second birthday as she had stopped napping around 18 months and my MIL, who does childcare four days a week, missed the break in the middle of the day. That’s all it was used for until DD2 was born eight weeks ago (when DD1 was 2.9), and we’ve since relaxed the rules for our own sanity - DD2 is another nap refuser, so DD1 needed something to keep her happy while I rock the buggy back and forth for half an hour four times a day.

With the Kindle Fire you can limit what they can see/access. We only have Reading Eggs and a few other EYFS curriculum linked apps - but I’m a primary teacher so am lucky in that I could ask our reception teacher what would be suitable.

I think you have to be realistic nowadays - it’s not possible to keep preschoolers away from all technology, so letting them have a big of a play here and there gives them some tech know how and also removes the excitement from it. It’s a bit like alcohol and teenagers - my parents offered me a glass of wine with dinner from around age 12, so I never went nuts on it later on because it wasn’t such a novelty to me.

That’s my theory anyway, I could be wrong!

SylvanasWindrunner · 05/10/2021 18:52

DD is 2.5 and has my ancient iPad. She doesn't use it that much but she can pick the app she wants, navigate within the apps and enjoys things like the Duggee counting game, the Peppa Pig app, some other CBeebies stuff, etc. It's handy for long journeys too as I download some stuff to watch, although she doesn't watch much TV so it doesn't tend to hold her interest the same.

She does plenty of small world play, painting, playdoh, outside trips, jigsaws, you name it. There are a lot of hours in the day when they're at home most of or all the time though so I'm happy with her having the odd half hour on the tablet while I'm getting some bits done! We will probably get her a Kids fire tablet for Christmas as my iPad is so old it crashes a lot and she gets annoyed Grin

GreenPumpkins · 05/10/2021 18:53

My DS had a kindle fire from 2.5 and he still uses it now age 7. It's very easy to control screen time and all the apps suggested are picked for their age. My DS used it to mainly play maths and letters games. I might not have been so keen if he was just using it to watch videos! Now it's used for mathletics from school as well as playing. I don't regret letting him have one so young. I wish he'd never discovered YouTube on the tv though.

When we got our kindle fires they both came with a years subscription free and 2 year accidental damage warranty. Don't know if that's still the case. The first one was replaced because it didn't have enough storage. After the free subscription ends it's £4 a month which I still pay. I think it's worth it for the content.

trilbydoll · 05/10/2021 18:56

The kindles are quite good, you can set time limits and they turn themselves off. On the kids profile we haven't figured out how to use the Internet or YouTube so they're limited to whatever apps they can find.

I think they're fine in moderation.

SylvanasWindrunner · 05/10/2021 18:57

Oh DD has a Yoto which she really likes too. She can put her own audiobooks on, listen to the radio, etc. Maybe worth a try if you want something that doesn't have a screen?

RobinPenguins · 05/10/2021 18:57

My 3 year old has a kindle fire. She plays number blocks and uses the CBeebies apps. We have quiet time after lunch on days when she’s at home and she can choose if she wants half an hour on the tablet or to play with toys or read books.

They’re fine used in moderation with appropriate controls/oversight of use.

Chelyanne · 05/10/2021 19:57

Ours have kindle fire tablets, I got them their own at 5 years old and they used them for homeschooling too. Our son did destroy 2 washing them in the sink (at the same time), I was livid. Our eldest has one that's about 10 years old and it's still going strong. Our younger 4 have time limits set via the parental controls, it's a nice balance of zombie tablet use and other play that way. They do play with eachother via the tablets too. They are great for long car journeys, we download films as most of their games are online.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.