My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For free parenting resources please check out the Early Years Alliance's Family Corner.

Parenting

My hummie or Ollie the owl

14 replies

3dogsandababy · 05/11/2020 13:39

I've had an email this morning offering me 30% off of tommee tippee sleep aids (Ollie the owl) but was wondering whether it's worth it?
My 5 month old won't settle or sleep in his cot at all and I'm one very sleep deprived mama 😭

Which is better my hummie or Ollie the owl?

OP posts:
Ihaveoflate · 05/11/2020 13:52

Try free white noise app on your phone or YouTube first before you she'll money out would be my advise.

Ihaveoflate · 05/11/2020 13:54

I hope you understood that post despite all the typos! Why doesn't MN have an edit functions?!

HoneyCheesecake · 05/11/2020 13:54

Yeah I wouldn’t waste your money.

I tried everything with DD but she just needed more time and wasn’t ready. So I co slept and fed her all night which helped us both.

Sorry that’s not helpful!

Lottieskeeper · 05/11/2020 13:58

We had a my hummy for DS who has always been a terrible sleeper. Didn't think it helped until the batteries ran down and we had an awful night.

So after going through loads of batteries I had a stroke of inspiration and just use an old radio un tuned so it plays white noise.
Same effect.

3dogsandababy · 05/11/2020 14:22

Thanks for the suggestions! We don't have an old radio but I'll try a white noise app.
He'll fall asleep with music/tv on but only in my bed. As soon as I put him in his cot awake or asleep he cries, like proper screams and nothing settles him. We've been cosleeping for ages but I'm getting to the point where I'm constantly exhausted and need a proper sleep without subconsciously thinking about him next to me!

OP posts:
becca3210 · 05/11/2020 14:30

A white noise machine or on a phone that plays continuously would be best

sqirrelfriends · 05/11/2020 14:42

I don't know about my hummie but the owl was less than useless. Horrible tinny music and white noise that used to startle DS and make him cry.

We moved over to white noise on a speaker, much better!

Letsallscreamatthesistene · 05/11/2020 14:43

I really like my MyHummy

lockdownpregnancy · 05/11/2020 17:08

We have Ollie the owl for DS and he settles well with it. We use the heartbeat on it and the tummy glow light, which acts like a night light.
We use this for bedtime which works really well. When DS won't settle for naps during the day we put the hairdryer noise on you tube and he's asleep within minutes! Revelation!

modgepodge · 05/11/2020 19:09

We have Ollie, my daughter is 18m and we still use him every night and nap time. If the batteries run down we know about it! It does use a lot so we bought a charger and use rechargeable batteries now.

Letsallscreamatthesistene · 05/11/2020 19:10

About the batteries - same for me and MyHummy!

LikeTheOceansWeRise · 05/11/2020 19:31

We have My Hummy but the batteries ran out so often and it's not very loud. We now have a plug in white noise machine that is also a nightlight and plays nursery rhymes too. It was £20 and its brilliant. You can get them on Amazon.

Totally got sucked in with the new parent spending spree with My Hummy, it's not worth the money imo and apps on phones are OK but you then always have to leave your phone where the baby is!

spidermomma · 05/11/2020 19:39

I use the v tech teddy bear. Have done for all 3 or Ewan the sheep helped my dd the best. She was an awful sleeper! They all use the bear with projector now an they go to bed at 7 with a bottle an that's them for the night. Their great
Ewan the sheep was the best for white noise an the little red light. It mimics the womb pretty much xx

3dogsandababy · 05/11/2020 20:54

Thanks for these. My baby is 5 months old and has been an alright sleeper up until about 3-4 months so do you think an Ollie the owl will work or should I have introduced it from the beginning?
The one that they emailed me is rechargeable so won't run down a load of batteries

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.