My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For free parenting resources please check out the Early Years Alliance's Family Corner.

Parenting

Baby teeth brushing - please help

15 replies

katee90 · 20/01/2020 18:46

My just turned 7mo has got 6 teeth already and I suspect more on the way imminently.

I'm REALLY having difficulties brushing them. He absolutely hates it and makes it near impossible for me to get the toothbrush in his mouth, let alone actually brush them.

Does anyone please have any tips you could share with me? I'm starting to get anxious when I approach him to brush them and the last thing I want is picking up on that.

Thanks in advance

OP posts:
firstimemamma · 20/01/2020 18:52

We use mr tumble's song about brushing your teeth. It's one min long and on YouTube. Ds (17 months) holds the phone and I brush. Then he has a quick try at brushing too.

Your child might be a bit young to hold the phone but maybe you could hold it or prop it up somehow?

I think there are loads of other songs out there too.

pinkytheunicorn · 20/01/2020 18:53

Don't stress about it too much. Yes it is important to brush, but it's not like the baby is drinking full fat coke, yes milk has sugar in it but you don't need to panic at this age. I'm assuming baby doesn't have sugary food yet? It's new and they need to get used to it. One of mine had every tooth bar two by 12m (fun times!) and I struggled to do hers too.

Teething makes them sore so when mine were tiny I used to put a blob of toothpaste on my finger and give it a rub if I couldn't get the brush in their mouths. As they get older you can make a game of it, you brush yours they brush theirs etc. Also give baby the brush and help them to learn to chew on it. Also try a blob of Anbesol half hour beforehand. Should take the pain away.

ElspethFlashman · 20/01/2020 18:55

Ditch the brush. At that age its largely irrevelant. Just put some toothpaste on your finger.

Letsbegin · 20/01/2020 19:00

Wrapped in a towel after the bath so they cant wriggle away. Sing a song, yes they will scream the first few times but it's just a process and routine they need to learn will happen every day. Try a different flavour of toothpaste as mint is quite strong for babies. They do a peppa pig one which is berry flavour.

student26 · 20/01/2020 19:03

I taught my little one a song about teeth brushing that I made up. She loves it and insists I sing it when brushing and gradually sing it faster. It’s to the tune of ‘row,row your boat’ if anyone is interested.
‘Brush, brush, brush your teeth,
brush them everyday.
Up and down and side to side
So you don’t get decay.’

usersouthcoast · 20/01/2020 19:21

@student26 I'm pinching that song for the morning!!

We've just started struggling too. Two things that have worked today are:

1. I used his brush to brush my teeth, then I brushed his, back to me, back to him..
  2. husband stood with him in front of mirror before bath and did the same as I'd done that morning.

I totally understand the anxious feeling though, I was the same, but today has gone really well xx
Bipbipbipbip · 20/01/2020 23:12

I just used to hold DS and get in there. It's like nappy changing, they can thrash round all they want, but it's getting done!

CBsDad · 21/01/2020 00:05

We've cycled through a few different techniques since the first tooth at about 6m.

1. singing nursery rhymes but replacing words with 'brush': old mcbrush-brush had a brush, brush brush brush brush brush...

2. give ds a decoy brush to play with while we brush his teeth.

3. let ds brush one of our teeth

4. clean teddy's teeth first

5. mum tickles feet, dad cleans

6. gently hold him still, brushing is non-negotiable.
MrsPelligrinoPetrichor · 21/01/2020 00:07

Wrap in a towel and do them! Non negotiable.

namechangingtime · 21/01/2020 00:48

Start by letting him play with the brush, then put a bit of toothpaste on the brush, he's still going to be sticking things in his mouth so will get a taste for it, I agree about a different flavour to mint, then as he's playing with the brush move his hands slightly so he's slowly brushing. Do this over a few days/a week. The more he understands it doesn't hurt the more he'll let you do it

purpleme12 · 21/01/2020 00:55

You can get chewable toothbrushes for babies. Google them. (Couldn't get a link on here on my mobile)
We just used to put toothpaste on there and let her chew it herself. Better than nothing and that one stage that was better than the alternative to be honest. Especially when they're so young

blueskiesbrighteyes · 21/01/2020 00:57

Have you tried an electric brush? Mine is surprisingly fine with it and we do it in the bath

INeedNewShoes · 21/01/2020 01:18

I made sure DD saw me brushing mine for a few weeks then let DD brush mine for me (for 2 seconds).

My main advice would be that once baby does let you put the toothbrush in, make sure you just do a very quick brush (a few seconds) and then stop there. Once there have been a few days of positive very short brushings you can start upping the time.

Also, choose the toothbrush carefully. I like the colgate ones. We've had a Mothercare one and a Sainsbury one where the head was bigger and IMO far too big to be comfortable or practical for a baby.

Charlottejade89 · 21/01/2020 15:29

I always try and make my dd (18 months) laugh when I brush her teeth so she opens her mouth up for me. Just do a few seconds at a time

JuniorMumto1 · 21/01/2020 15:48

We have these finger toothbrushes that really helped.
Watch out for biting though!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.