Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

What tablet would you recommend for kids

Chiamaka111 · 16/11/2018 12:50

As thr title suggest , which have you find the best, my children are 9,6 and 3.
Thank you

OP's posts:
Please
or

Fabaunt · 16/11/2018 14:07

None, they’re too young. Bring them for a walk or let them outside for fresh air

Please
or

RicStar · 16/11/2018 14:11

We have a couple of old kindle fires - not officially the kids but they mostly use them - they might be young for 9 year old though. (Mine spend plenty of time climbing trees and running about too Hmm)

Please
or

ineedwine99 · 16/11/2018 14:13

An ipad mini or android tablet, 7 or 8 inch, if Ipad then second hand given the price. A thick case is a must.

My daughter has a kindle fire an i hate it, so slow loading and laggy during use

Please
or

JellyBellies · 16/11/2018 14:16

A second hand I pad. Got ours from cex and it is amazing.

I have tried a Samsung galaxy and kindle fire. But they ended up being too buggy and slow.
The ki dle fire was too buggy and slow.

The Samsung galaxy didnt work out either. But the ipad has always been a hit.

Please
or

FrederickCreeding · 16/11/2018 14:18

Actually I have a kindle fire and it's fine. How can it be too 'young' for a 9 year old?!

Please
or

youlemming · 16/11/2018 14:19

Depends what you want them to use it for, mine were brought kids kindle fire's by MIL, my older DD is 8 so I hoped it would be used for reading but mainly she watches cartoons and plays on the various apps/games.
My youger DD is only 3 so not much use for reading at this point she again she just watches things on it.

Some days I wish we didn't have them as they will just want to watch things and getting anything else done is a battle, so we get to the point of having to remove them from use.

Please
or

Chiamaka111 · 16/11/2018 14:47

Thanks for the suggestions , i just want a tablet where i can restrict their viewing , download age appropriate games ,kids youtube ,homework and something where they can access free games

OP's posts:
Please
or

Chiamaka111 · 16/11/2018 14:48

Its their first tablet

OP's posts:
Please
or

heathers00 · 16/11/2018 14:57

The amazon fire mentioned by @ RicStar are good. They do a kids edition in all the screen sizes and they are a good price. The only drawback is you have to use the amazon app store. No google play.
Watch out for amazon's black friday deal on them.

Please
or

blackcat86 · 16/11/2018 15:00

Something 2nd hand for the 9 year old. See what you can find on the selling pages. I wouldn't buy new because it may get damaged or broken. I really don't think a 3 year old or 6 year old need one.

Please
or

Chiamaka111 · 16/11/2018 15:52

Thank you we have decided to get amazon fire kids 7 which is £59.99 in amazon

OP's posts:
Please
or

RicStar · 16/11/2018 18:22

May be too late - but just be aware no kids youtube app on fire. There are some third party apps (that charge) and do something similar but I have not used them. Ours are a life saver on long journeys to inlaws but I do heavily restrict use during the school week and they are not theirs / allowed them in their rooms etc.

Please
or

JKCR2017 · 16/11/2018 20:15

Pricey but I would say iPad. I have tried out cheaper tablets but nothing compares to iPads. Last year DS and DD kept arguing over our iPad so we bought DD an Amazon fire and we didn’t get in with it but might be okay for you.

I’ve just seen that you have bought an Amazon fire. Amazon fire 7’s are £29.99 on Argos today (I see a post on Fb).

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?