Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Is 10.45am too early in the day to get married?!

Dottydot · 19/02/2006 14:25

That's it really - we've provisionally booked the date and the time of the ceremony will be 10.45am which I thought was quite good as we're all going out for lunch afterwards and the 15 under 5's coming will all hopefully be awake and not too miserable at that time. But the first few people we've told have all gasped at how early the ceremony is!! We could find another date to get a later slot but I'm just not sure.

Has anyone else had mid morning weddings?? Reassure me it'll be OK!!

OP's posts:
Please
or

compo · 19/02/2006 14:27

Ours was at 12pm and it was great -I really didn't want the traditional 3pm wedding as I know I would be a bag of nerves bt then. It was a long day though, because we had an evening do too. Also it was a bit of a rush in the morning geting hair and makeup done etc

Please
or

suzywong · 19/02/2006 14:27

of course it's ok

why ever wouldn't it be?

Please
or

Yorkiegirl · 19/02/2006 14:28

Message withdrawn

Please
or

Aimsmum · 19/02/2006 14:29

Message withdrawn

Please
or

LIZS · 19/02/2006 14:30

As long as everyone coming is local or happy to travel and stay the night before, I would n't see a problem tbh. With so many children it seems far more sensible to aim to eat at a regular time rather than string it out and hope they don't get peckish and irritable.

Please
or

DissLocated · 19/02/2006 14:30

I got married on 29th October last year at 10.45am. It worked out well for us, we had a small ceremony and went for lunch straight afterwards and had a long afternoon in the pub!

tbh, I didn't think twice about the time, no-one commented on it I didn't really think it was that unusual.

Please
or

Dottydot · 19/02/2006 14:31

I've got a bit of a moany family... My Mum is already complaining that we've booked the ceremony in Manchester (a whole 4 miles away) rather than Stockport (a much easier 2 miles away) - we're being very thoughtless apparently by not thinking about how and where people will park. Sigh. I suppose weddings are supposed to be full of family rifts and arguments?

OP's posts:
Please
or

DissLocated · 19/02/2006 14:32

Oh yes, that's exactly what weddings are all about and is why we ended up with such a small do.

Please
or

NannyL · 19/02/2006 14:36

as long as your dont guests who have to travel a long way in the morning am sure it will be fine...

as long as you (the bride) have enough time to get ready

probably perfect if you have lots of under 5s as they can at least eat lunch near lunch time.... hungry children does not work IMO!

Please
or

jessicaandrebeccasmummy · 19/02/2006 14:37

Mine was 11am and it was perfect.

By the time the ceremony/photos were out of the way, and everyone made it back to the hotel where we had the meal, it was 1pm sit down.

ENJOY!

Please
or

WideWebWitch · 19/02/2006 14:38

It's a fine time! If there are lots of people travelling I suppose they'll have to come the night before but I think it's fine.And you're right about it being a good time for the children.

Please
or

compo · 19/02/2006 14:40

I think it is important to think a little bit about parking to be honest as we've been to countless weddings where we've had no idea where to park cars - usually ones involving reote country churches with narrow country lanes and no parking available at all. Walking a couple of miles in the rain in your new weddingy shoes that kill your feet doesn't make you the perfect relaxed guest!! (sorry painful experiences here!!)

Please
or

DissLocated · 19/02/2006 14:56

We thought about parking but only because the registrar told us there was only 1 space available at the registry office. We organised taxis for all our guests between our house, the registry office and the restaurant. We only had 15 guests though.

Please
or

hockeymum · 19/02/2006 14:57

we had our wedding at 11am and I loved it. There were a couple of family members who had a bit of a moan that they didn't get to have a lie in and have time to do their hair etc, but the wedding wasnt for them it was for us. We wanted a morning wedding as its our best time of the day and we wanted a lunchtime reception. We left our reception at about 5-6pm and had the evening together in a hotel just the two of us which was lovely. Also, those who wanted to make big night of it could stay on or go into town or whatever and those with children could get them home in a happy mood at a decent time.

Do what you want to do, it's your day make it work for the two of you. Have a lovely time!

Please
or

MerlinsBeard · 19/02/2006 20:05

to be fair, parking is a nightmare in mcr and is expensive too but at the end of the day thats when ur wedding is, not anyone elses business to complain if u ask me!

Please
or

Skribble · 19/02/2006 20:47

Most weddings I have been to are mid afternoon, you never seem to have time to eat a decent lunch before you go, its ages to dinner and they usually still fork out for a buffet in the evening.

A wedding lunch and a buffet dinner (if you are dancing onto the evening) are enough. Plus it gives the days guests plenty time to chat and catch up before the evenings guests arrive. Plus day guests with young children can leave early evening and not feel like they have missed out. For 15 under 5's I would perhaps put on a suitable DVD or if you are feeling flush an entertainer in an other room, with a nice band doing background music for the adults (as I said if you are feeling flush).

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.