My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find nursery advice from other Mumsnetters on our Nursery forum.

Nurseries

Nursery babies left alone to eat - should I worry?

34 replies

makedoandmend · 04/08/2009 17:23

Today I went in to the nursery my 8mo is going to to help her settle (posted about it yesterday).

I basically tried to stay in the background, bf her as needed just so she could have good associations with the nursery (on recommendation of nursery owner).

While I was there they had tea time for the babies. One of the two nursery staff in the baby room went off to prepare the food in the baby room kitchen (adjacent to the baby room with an open door so they can hear what's going on), then came back with two of the baby's food, she then returned to the kitchen to finish the younger baby' food. As the babies started eating the the other staff member went to change the nappy of one of the others in the sleeping room, effectively a darkened bit of room through an archway. This meant both staff couldn't see what the babies were doing.

This left the babies alone feeding themselves in their high chairs (I was in the room of course) for about four or five minutes. As far as I could see they were eating mashed something or other not sticks of finger food, but it still worried me a bit.

Am I just being a worrier? It's just that I know, through previous experience of a relative, that when a baby or child has a proper choking episode they don't make any noise - if you're in the other room the first you know about it is coming back in the room to find a struggling baby who can't breathe, or worse.

Should I say anything? I just wonder if it's a bad habit they've got into.

OP posts:
makedoandmend · 06/08/2009 08:56

Thanks MollieO - will have a look and start the hunt. Sounds like you had quite a search!

Scarfmaker - it was mush rather than finger food they were left with but even so - very bad practice and I will be persuing it to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I will definitely look at CMs. I originally wanted to go down this route but because I don't drive and dh leaves so early in the morning, the logistics of dropping dd off the other side of town at a CMs looked insurmountable (I have to get a lift at 7.30am).

Also the CMs I looked at seemed to have lots of older kids 9+ and I wasn't keen on dd being passed around.

But I've pretty much made the decision that I have to give up my long commute and get a job locally (especially as dh also has long commute) as I hate the idea of being so far away from dd should something happen.

It'll probably mean giving up my career and going into something completely different but that needn't be a bad thing. If I work closer then CM may be an option. I've just got to find a job that we can afford me to take as we have a lot of outgoings that need covering and we're really struggling at the mo (Mothercare are recruiting I think - don't know what they pay though).

Thanks again to everyone for your help and support.

OP posts:
makedoandmend · 06/08/2009 08:57

Nappyaddict - meant to ask - are you a CM or do you use them?

OP posts:
nappyaddict · 06/08/2009 13:09

I'm not a CM but 3 friend are and I have used CMs in the past. What area are you in?

atworknotworking · 06/08/2009 13:18

There a lots of us cm's on here why not put an add on the childminder section, wer'e a lot more flexible than most people think, for eg, we have a pick up and drop off collection service for some of our mindees, get an up to date list from your local families information service, vacancies change week to week so you may find someone closer than their was before. Don't worry too much about the age differences, little ones thrive on being wth older children learn quickly, and form bonds with all ages, my older children absolutely adore the little ones and read them stories, build brick towers and help them in all sorts of ways, thay arn't rough at all when they play near or around the little ones, they will be at school most of the time anyway, so will be lots of time for a minder to spend 1:1 during the day with your dd.

makedoandmend · 06/08/2009 16:41

I'm in Worthing. I think I just got a bit overwhelmed by trying to trawl through all the CM names.

atworknotworking - thanks your post has given me hope that I may be able to find somesome flexible. I did put a general 'any CMs in Worthing' on here - and someone did put up three names (fellow CMs) but I was hoping for recommendations from parents. I may try again though.

OP posts:
Dottoressa · 06/08/2009 22:30

Makedo - have you tried the NCMA (link here? I don't know if it's any good, but I have interviewed lots of CMs via the NCMA, and they've all been fantastic.

makedoandmend · 07/08/2009 19:08

Will try that thanks Dottoressa. Am going to really look into this next week and line up some people to see. The more I think about it the more I think that a CM might be wiser

OP posts:
misssese · 14/08/2009 16:54

At all times babies and children should be being watched by staff there are strict guidelines at how many babies to staff, in baby room its 1-3 that means 3 babies to every 1 staff member. Also babies shouldn't be left alone with any lower qualified than NVQ level 3!! I hope this helps give you confidence when you speak to them as at least you know you will have your facts straight!!also its the manager responsibly to ensure the staffing levels are correct if a nursery is short staffed for any reason the manager is expected to step in and help as the children are a greater priority than paperwork!!!

makedoandmend · 16/08/2009 19:37

Thanks everyone - I've taken dd out of the nursery. I went back on Wednesday and found that, because she'd refused a bottle again, they hadn't bothered to give her any other drink for five hours. Another 'oversight'.

I'm now waiting to see if they'll try and charge me for a month as I'm supposed to give them a month in writing but I ended up just phoning to let them know. Personally I don't think I owe them anything apart from the sessions we attended! .

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.