My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find nursery advice from other Mumsnetters on our Nursery forum.

Nurseries

How important are child-carer ratios??

3 replies

Weta · 28/04/2009 14:03

We are about to move to Luxembourg and are trying to choose between two nurseries for a half-time place (mornings) for our son, who will have just turned 2.

The ratios seem to be much higher there, and I can't decide what to think:

Option 1 is 4 mins walk from the house, it has 18 children in the 2-4 age group with 2 carers.

Option 2 is 10 mins walk from our house. It has 15 children for 2 carers, but in the mornings the children aged 2.5-4 spend an hour doing the French kindergarten curriculum for about an hour, meaning 10 children to that teacher and 5 (aged 2-2.5) with the other carer. I'm not wildly fussed either way about the kindergarten business (DS1 enjoyed it in France from age 3, but I don't feel it's necessary at that age), but I do wonder whether the ratios would work better, especially with having more attention at the younger age and when he's just starting.

I won't be able to visit them before we move (or before enrolling) but DH liked both and thought both had good carer-child interaction. He slightly preferred option 2, but is also keen on the convenience of option 1.

How much weight do you think we should give to the ratios?

OP posts:
Weta · 28/04/2009 14:16

PS Meant to say it is DH who will be doing the drop-offs and pick-ups - if it was me I would go straight with option 2

OP posts:
mumeeee · 03/05/2009 18:17

That seems a lot of children to one adult. In the UK you have to have One adult to every 4 children at the age of 2.

Weta · 03/05/2009 22:31

I know... but that seems to be the norm there, and the same in Belgium Mind you, DS1 went to kindergarten here in France at age 3 and there were 32 kids to 2 adults!

At least DS2 will only be going for the mornings, and he's a pretty robust, adaptable kid - and in the end we've decided to take the creche with the better ratios.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.