My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find nursery advice from other Mumsnetters on our Nursery forum.

Nurseries

Soooo... my dd starts nursery tomorrow and I was anxious about it even before the recent run of threads.

24 replies

Lawks · 02/03/2009 19:13

She's nearly 3. I thought it would be a nice idea for her to go to nursery for a couple of mornings a week. It is a good idea, isn't it?

OP posts:
willowthewispa · 02/03/2009 19:15

At three, I'm sure she'll be fine!

Most of the recent threads have voiced concerns about the care of much younger children. Three year olds get a lot out of the social experience of nursery, and if she's unhappy she can tell you about it. If you liked the nursery and the staff, then I'm sure you have nothing to worry about.

Podrick · 02/03/2009 19:18

Preschool sessions for 3 year olds don't tend to cause controversy

Bumperslucious · 02/03/2009 19:19

Same here. DD is 20 mo and starts on Friday. I'm feeling incredibly precious about the whole thing!

memoo · 02/03/2009 19:21

Lawks, don't worry about the recent nursery bashing threads on here. They have been started by people justing trying to upset.

There are some wonderful nurseries out there. I work in a reception class of a primary school and you can tell the pupils who have been to nursery because they seem to have a far easier time starting school.

They settle in better, form good relationships with their peers and basically just seem to deal with school a lot better during the early months

Your DD is nearly 3, you are absolutely doing the right thing

Lawks · 02/03/2009 19:21

I know it's a bit wimpy of me to be feeling nervous. She's never ever been looked after by anyone other than DH or me. Ever. I never went back to work after she was born. I think it's the right thing to do. I think she'll enjoy it and learn exciting new things and make friends and stuff. It's a big change for us though.

OP posts:
sarah293 · 02/03/2009 19:21

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

Lawks · 02/03/2009 19:22

That's reassuring Memoo. That's why I'm doing it.

OP posts:
bodiddly · 02/03/2009 19:23

My ds has been very happy at nursery since he was 6 months old. He is now 4 and still loves it. She will make some friends and have a great time!

Lawks · 02/03/2009 19:23

Well, am not in UK so system is slightly different out here.

I don't even know the difference between nursery, preschool, playgroup etc.

OP posts:
Bumperslucious · 02/03/2009 19:27

I have no idea of the differences either.

To be fair my DD is very ready for nursery, she is very social and needs more contact than just me and DH. It's just going to be a bit of a shock for her having spent the first 2 years of her life with just us. She has been babysay before but only with people she knows, and not for 8 hours. It's only one day a week for now but I'm still feeling wobbly about it.

CMOTDibbler · 02/03/2009 19:32

My DS adores nursery. He has his friends that he has chosen, they do a huge range of activities and have access to a great range of outdoor toys. Equally, they enjoy cuddling up for a story or doing singing/dancing/making music. Oh, and messy play...

nightshade · 02/03/2009 19:36

dd nearly three started this morning, for two mornings a week!

loved it, didn't want me to come and collect her.

it has been apparent for some time that she is totally bored with mainly me for company.

'fraid i had no qualms and can't wait for wednesday.

styrange considering i was not going to send her at all, this time last year.

Lawks · 02/03/2009 19:40

I've just packed her little bag, made her snack and sewn a name tag on her blankie.

I'm off to bed now.

Thank you for the reminders of all the good reasons why I am doing this. She is bored with me and her baby brother. She wants to go to "school". She will love it. And hopefully someone will play with her. And hopefully she will remember to ask for the loo. And I'll be crouched outside the door breathing into a paper bag if they need me anyway...

OP posts:
Nemoandthefishes · 02/03/2009 19:40

both my dds [3.2 and 2.1yrs] go to nursery 2 mornings a week although Dd1 now goes 3 mornings thanks to the grant. They both love it and actually cry when they are not in nursery!!! They love their friends, the lovely ladies who work there and the atmosphere. I love the break

Scarfmaker · 02/03/2009 20:44

My three all started the local state school nursery at 3 and a halfish and all settled in well, made good friends, etc. and this has lasted right up till now when my Year 11 leaves school in the summer.

This was without any of them being at a nursery or pre-school prior to this age because 16 years there wasn't the choice that is around now.

Sidge · 02/03/2009 20:52

She'll have a ball!

My DD3 (now 2.5) has been at nursery since September and adores it - she does all the fun stuff that Mummy doesn't let her do doesn't do very often such as painting

Her nursery is fantastic, with wonderful caring staff and they spend most of the day outside in the huge gardens. The food is great, and I am 100% happy with her being there. I'm sure your DD will have a blast.

snickersnack · 02/03/2009 20:56

At 3, she'll be able to tell you if she's unhappy. I think most nurseries are lovely places - I'm sure there are some exceptions, but certainly I never had any qualms leaving dd at hers. Hope it goes very well for you and her tomorrow

francagoestohollywood · 02/03/2009 21:00

Where are you Lawks? Don't worry, it is pretty normal to go to nursery school from around 2.5/3 yrs old in continental Europe.

onadietcokebreak · 02/03/2009 23:20

She will LOVE it...but you will hate leaving her and will prob get a little jealous hearing about the fab time she had without you!! But enjoy a bit of time alone and don't feel guilty. You are doing the best thing ever for her.

My son is 17mths and has been going to nursery since he was 9mths. He loves it, its the best thing i have ever done.

Top tip...try and be one of the first to arrive cos then as far as shes concerned its everyone else who comes in after her is having there first day too!!!

onadietcokebreak · 02/03/2009 23:21

meant to say enjoy time alone with baby....

Lawks · 03/03/2009 05:12

WAHHHHHHHHH!

I've just dropped her off. She was a bit unsure but trying to be brave. Can I go and get her yet?

OP posts:
pookamoo · 03/03/2009 21:29

How was it??

Lawks · 04/03/2009 09:47

She was beyond tired. Little pale face with purple shadows under her eyes. She had her comfort blankie out when I arrived to get her.

She tells me she likes nursery and had a lovely time. Day 2 tomorrow. She's very cheerful about going back. Eek.

OP posts:
pookamoo · 06/03/2009 14:58

Glad to hear it went ok!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.