My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find nursery advice from other Mumsnetters on our Nursery forum.

Nurseries

when a nursery has an open day, how do they keep the children safe?

4 replies

dearbeatrice · 13/11/2008 12:22

I've asked our nursery if they ask visitors to sign in (obviously not foulproof 'cos they could use false names).. as a paranoid first time mum I'm concerned that some random weirdo could go and visit, and then distract one of the younger carers and abduct my little boy. I realise this is extremely unlikely but I just want some assurances. I'm guessing the manager and her deputy will do the 'showing round' - but if it's a turn up on the day thing, how do they know they'll have enough staff. as I say, main concern is whether one of the other staff would notice if a baby or child was picked up by a stranger and they made a speedy exit..

any thoughts - I've asked them the question re signing in, and hope they will sense my uncertainty and fill me in a bit more

obviously i've been a beneficiary of other open days, viewed other places before this new one (saw it empty) - and I know I didn't sign in, but had made appointments and was chaperoned around. Perhaps the visitors just aren't allowed in the fenced off play areas or something???

thanks

OP posts:
mummyloveslucy · 13/11/2008 12:28

At my daughters nursery, the head of nursery would show them around and envite the parents to observe a class, while their child plays.
The ouside gate is kept locked and is locked once the visitors are inside.
Hope this helps.

MadreInglese · 13/11/2008 12:29

If it worries you that much then you should ask your nursery all those questions directly

Twims · 17/11/2008 20:45

TBH Never thought about it - we only ever had workmen who were chaperoned for the entire event by a nursery nurse or if parents came to look around, were shown around by the manager or deputy - I don't think any of the nursery nurses ever thought about someone posing as a parent to abduct a child in a nursery.

juneybean · 22/11/2008 11:41

Managers are usually supernumary and aren't counted into ratios. Therefore it is the manager who would show around.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.