I'm sure this has been done before, but not by me!
- Try lots of nurseries.
- Ask around for personal recommendations.
- Look at thier OFSTED report.
- When you visit look at cleanliness and tidiness. If it's a tip, start to worry. If it's spotless, start to worry as well!
- Talk to all staff and find out how many are qualified up to NVQ 3 level. Are they....er....well, gormless morons? Avoid nuseries staffed by 17 year old 'trainees' with few social skills. GOD, I've worked with so many of those!
- Ask about planning and observations. You don't need to know what they're talking about exactly, but do THEY know what they're talking about?
- Visit lots, and at different times of the day.
- Try to visit over lunch and try the food. Is it cheap tasteless crap like at my nursery?
- Remember that expensive does not mean good!
10. take me with you on a visit. Or at least somebody like me.