My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find nursery advice from other Mumsnetters on our Nursery forum.

Nurseries

OMFG the nursery has a Dostoevsky quote on the wall

16 replies

Kathyis6incheshigh · 02/10/2007 11:30

Something about time spent with children being healing. DH was very about this as he has had a constant low-level sore throat and lots of colds ever since we had dd.

I'm not used to such ponciness - at our usual nursery Oop North they play in a home-made toy chip shop called the Wobbly Whaler.
This one also has painted on one wall, 'From changing mat to yoga mat.'

Are all Kids Unlimited nurseries like this?

OP posts:
HuwEdwards · 02/10/2007 11:31

lolol!!!!

no idea about kids unlimited!

ShaunOfTheThread · 02/10/2007 11:32

... so long as it isn't something about patricide, a la Karamatzov, your dp ought to be relieved.

Kathyis6incheshigh · 02/10/2007 11:34

LOL Shaun!

OP posts:
ShaunOfTheThread · 02/10/2007 11:36

Love the homemade toy chip shop. Did they have a sign on the wall saying 'From changing mat to beer mat?

ahundredtimes · 02/10/2007 11:39

I think they should have this one up:

'The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions.'

I've always liked that. Would get the Ofsted Inspectors talking wouldn't it?

Kathyis6incheshigh · 02/10/2007 11:43

Well it is next door to the Isaac Newton Institute so it is full of the offspring of mathematicians - probably if you ask any of the children what 2 and 2 make they would say, 'It depends.'

Shaun - I like your idea for a sign. DD does love the chip shop. They sell each other fish and chips cut out of corrugated cardboard, and empty Fruit Shoot bottles.

OP posts:
ahundredtimes · 02/10/2007 11:46

lol. I like this nursery. It's like something out of the eighteenth century.

After snack time, children we're going to be doing Optics.

Kathyis6incheshigh · 02/10/2007 11:49

LOL 100x. Yes, all they need to do now is dress them up in pantaloons and mob caps and it will be perfect.

OP posts:
Hassled · 02/10/2007 11:51

How about "Spare the Rod and Spoil the Child"? That would really give Ofsted something to ponder .

ahundredtimes · 02/10/2007 11:54

Oh no. I think it's only Dostoevsky and Newton in this nursery, and possibly Goethe in the baby room.

ShaunOfTheThread · 02/10/2007 11:54

The chip shop sounds lovely. I want to play in it.
I think that the nursery ds1 went to in Oxford years ago was a Kids Unlimited one. Didn't have anything crazily intellectual on the wall in those days.
Half the kids could play violin to international standards and speak 10 languages tho, cos was a university nursery, so I expect thestaff felt under pressure to be uber-intellectual too.

Kathyis6incheshigh · 02/10/2007 13:43

Ah my friend in Oxford reports that the KidsUnlimited one there has the quotes too. This is Cambridge.
Our chipshop nursery is a campus one, but at a northern university, not Oxbridge.

OP posts:
minouminou · 11/01/2008 12:09

yup - ds is in Kids Unlimited in north oxford - haven't read all the quotes, but there's one - "flowers are a language even a baby can understand"..there's others, but i always find myself distracted by the pan-pipes version of the braveheart soundtrack coming through the walls.
funnily enough, we're moving north this year - can't wait to see if there's a big difference.
chip shops and pies, eh/
i'm winding DP up that DS will be joining the uppermill brass band asap.
ey oop, mah luv!
Having said that, though, DS loves his nursery, and i will be very sad indeed to be taking him out.

mumof2fabkids · 12/01/2008 23:28

sounds like Kisunlimited is the same all round the country - is that a good thing? For the children I mean, not kidsunlimited!

sprogger · 14/01/2008 13:52

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tamdin · 14/01/2008 13:56

i worked in a ku up north and they were on the walls there too. funny how you don't notice them anymore when you're carrying the bin bags full of poo to the bins!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.