My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find nursery advice from other Mumsnetters on our Nursery forum.

Nurseries

Would my ds (7 months) get used to 1.5 days in a nursery?

8 replies

cheritongirl · 21/05/2007 20:36

Just applying for a very PT job and wondering whether my ds who is 7 months would settle into a nursery happily if he only went 1.5 days a week? have heard people say that it can be hard for a child to go so infrequently - they never settle there etc..
anyone got an opinion??!

OP posts:
hoxtonchick · 21/05/2007 20:39

my dd has done 2 days a week at nursery since she was 7 months old. she's almost 2 now. tbh, she did take a long time to settle, but loves it now. originally she did mon & thurs, now does 2 consecutive days. ds also did the same but always consecutive days & settled a lot quicker.

CountTo10 · 21/05/2007 20:45

My ds has done one full day and 2 mornings since he was 5mths and we never had an issue. It took him a couple of weeks to get used to everyone and then he's never looked back. He's 2.5 now and still loves it there and has got some great little friends. I think when they start that young they just take it in their stride. Babies are a lot more adaptable than toddlers or small children. Are you talking 3 half days or a mixture?

Chelseamum · 21/05/2007 20:50

My dd has been going to nursery for 1 day a week since she was 6 months.

It took 6 sessions for her to fully settle and be happy.

At first she cried a lot once I left and had various outbursts troughout the day. When i would pick her up she would also cry.

After 6 months she seems very comfortable and happy. As soon as whe arrive she smiles to her carer and happily starts playing with her favourite toys.

It has worked for me and my girl.

Lots of luck!

Hulababy · 21/05/2007 20:52

DD did 2 days a week at nursery from 5 months. She settled in straight away with no problems. Loved it right up to leaving last summer to start school.

improvingslowly · 21/05/2007 21:00

mine went 3 days week. got used to eating all kinds of foods, meeting different children etc. v good if expensive childcare.

cheritongirl · 21/05/2007 21:12

thanks all - in reply to you countTo10, i think i can probably choose myself, would you recommend it in 3 sessions or 2?

OP posts:
CountTo10 · 22/05/2007 20:44

To be honest I don't think it matters but if you're worried about the infrequent thing then maybe 3 mornings might be better. I like the fact that the way I work means he has his morning at nursery and then I get to spend the afternoon with him so it's whatever you think is going to work. Have you visited any nurseries yet? You might get more of an idea of what you want to do once you've seen a few places.

cheritongirl · 22/05/2007 21:08

am going to see a few nurseries this week and yes i like the idea of him doing 3 mornings too. thanks for the advice!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.