My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find nursery advice from other Mumsnetters on our Nursery forum.

Nurseries

which nursery to choose

18 replies

amateurmum · 25/04/2007 21:21

Sorry - just posted this without title by mistake so will try again!
My hours at work are changing in September and so am deciding on new nursery for dd next year (she will be three). Have looked round two locally I like.

Nursery 1 - lots of new facilities, very up to date educationally on early learning goals, extra trips etc BUt very young nursery staff who seemed pleasant but not very confident and outgoing.

Nursery 2 - lots of nice toys, and super older staff (mums and grannies) who I really warmed to BUT slightly uninspired educationally (children seem to be doing worksheets as one activity).

I want to send her to one of these rather than looking further as both take lots of children she will be going to school with.

Which would you choose?

OP posts:
mummytosteven · 25/04/2007 21:22

I would go for the good staff over the good paperwork.

NurseyJo · 25/04/2007 21:22

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

amateurmum · 25/04/2007 21:28

Have looked at ofsted reports - both have been grade good (not outstanding) in all areas.
Could probably found one with an outstanding report but would like her to go to one of these because of the children she will meet who will go to school with her.

OP posts:
NurseyJo · 25/04/2007 21:33

Message withdrawn

amateurmum · 25/04/2007 22:03

NurseyJo

Both buildings looked well safe and well kept.

Children seemed happily playing at both although at nursery 1 more seemed engaged in staff led activities.

How would I find out what percentage were qualified - do I just ask?

Manager at nursery 1 seemed very efficient and had all the right answers but I warmed more to manager at nursery 2 who instantly engaged with my dd and seemed like a very kind and caring person - she did not seem as au fait with current practice though and gave off a faintly disorganised impression!

OP posts:
NurseyJo · 25/04/2007 22:10

Message withdrawn

amateurmum · 25/04/2007 22:21

NurseyJo - thanks so much for answering my posts - you have given me a lot more to think about and helped me to organise what my opinions actually are.

Both have nice outdoor play areas although nursery 1 definitely bigger and better.

Nursery 1 provides what seem to be nice fresh lunches - I would have to send a packed lunch to nursery 2 (not a major problem as I already send them to school for my 2 ds's).

I will investigate your other suggestions.

But I guess it boils down to a head/heart decision - nursery 1 better resourced and modern and all singing all dancing! However, I had a better instinctive feeling about lovely warm staff at nursery 2.

OP posts:
EllieKthePA · 25/04/2007 22:23

i'd say go with your instincts

NurseyJo · 25/04/2007 22:27

Message withdrawn

amateurmum · 25/04/2007 22:37

Both independents.
I live in Derbyshire.

EllieK and MummytoSteven - am very tempted to go with my instincts but worried that I might be making the wrong decision educationally.

OP posts:
corblimeymadam · 25/04/2007 22:42

Message withdrawn

NurseyJo · 25/04/2007 22:48

Message withdrawn

amateurmum · 25/04/2007 22:52

Yes, the worksheets were the factor which put me off nursery 2 but is it outweighed by the nice staff?

What to do ......

DH says probably both are good, she get lots of interaction at home so education doesn't really matter at nursery (I only work part time) either one would be OK.

OP posts:
funnypeculiar · 25/04/2007 22:54

Go with your instincts. I can't personally believe that what a child learns educationally ( as opposed to socially/emotionally etc) is that important at 3.

Although have to say I would be a bit bemused at 3 yos doing work sheets.

I'd be upfront and ring the nursery managers/go in again & tell them your concerns & see what they say - they might say 'oh, yes, we never normally do worksheets, but we got them out specially because some mums like to see the kids doing 'school' work'... or something!

I went back to the nursery that I liked & asked questions about my 'niggles' - really helped

Oblomov · 25/04/2007 23:01

Depends what you objectives are.
My SIL took her ds(2) away from a totally loving childminder, because she wanted him to be stimulated and challenged more.

Ds is 3.3. Whilst I wanted him to ... learn how to hold a pencil properly. Generally I don't give a fart, so long as he is happy, interacting, playing, sharing etc.

My nursery, has young girls in the older groups. In the babies section, they have a slightly older, totally loving woman. It is HER, that drew me to the nursery - as well as other things.
Personally, I would go with older staff, loving manager - EVER TIME.
But my SIL, obviously is different.

Go with your instincts.

amateurmum · 25/04/2007 23:18

Thanks Oblamov and funnypeculiar - I will go back and ask about worksheets.

The more I think about this, the more I am swayed to the nursery with warm staff.

OP posts:
auntyspan · 26/04/2007 10:29

Definitely the warm staff. Staff make a nursery if you ask me. There's no point having great toys and educationally stimulating tasks if the staff are inexperienced.

That's the reason I chose the nursery my DD is in. I know she'll be "loved" by people who have had kids before.

HTH xx

ScoobyC · 26/04/2007 12:05

I'd go with the staff and the one you feel instinctively better about.
Do you honestly think it will make any difference to her education in the long term if she gets slightly more learning experiences at age 3? IMO her being happy and well cared for is the most important issue.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.