My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find nursery advice from other Mumsnetters on our Nursery forum.

Nurseries

Leaving nursery

5 replies

LittleRedDinosaur · 27/04/2015 08:45

DD is 2.5. She goes to nursery 3 full days per week and really loves it. We're moving house (military so a regular occurrence). It's the first move she will be aware of and we've been talking about the new house, showing her pictures etc and she seems excited about it.

I wasn't sure what to do about leaving nursery- Do we try to talk about leaving and going to a new nursery or do we just quietly leave?

I'm not sure she's got the language to be able to talk about it properly and I did say to her once that when we go to the new house she go to a new nursery and she said "no" quietly and looked all sad Sad. I don't know how to play it! I don't want to make her more sad than necessary by talking about it lots but I don't want her to suddenly realise she's not going back and get even more sad. Am I overthinking this?? Thank you Flowers

OP posts:
LittleRedDinosaur · 27/04/2015 10:21

Anyone any experience of moving house with a child of this age?

OP posts:
juneau · 27/04/2015 10:25

We moved country when DS1 was two. He'd been going to nursery for several months before we moved and I was surprised how adaptable he was. I think it helps that at this age their memories are quiet short, but if she's very happy and has bonded with staff she may be a bit upset about leaving/starting again. Just be positive about it yourself and jolly her along. If she senses that you're upset or reluctant she'll pick up on it, so just try to be matter of fact and normal and hopefully any sadness or feelings of dislocation will quickly fade. There may be a few tears, so acknowledge her sadness, but I'd be really surprised if it lasted long once you've moved and she's started at her new nursery.

LittleRedDinosaur · 27/04/2015 10:26

Thank you Smile

OP posts:
Theas18 · 27/04/2015 10:31

DS moved nurseries at 2 but it was easy, he went from the " baby nursery" to the big childrens nursery where his sis went to preschool. No problem at all.

DD1 must have moved at 2 as well to this nursery but I can't remember a thing about it! sorry. I certainly don't recall it being traumatic.

I guess putting a spin on new opportunities/growing up stages etc but i'm a big one for spin doctoring stuff that has to happen anyway. It's part of the parenting job.

LittleRedDinosaur · 27/04/2015 10:43

Right, will continue positive spin! Thank you

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.