My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find nursery advice from other Mumsnetters on our Nursery forum.

Nurseries

Coke (not the drug!) at nursery

20 replies

puffling · 30/08/2006 19:35

Is it normal practice for nurseries to provide cola for the children? I ask because I dropped my baby off for her first nursery visit today. I had to walk past the kitchen window and saw a long row of Asda Cola, raspberryade etc. I'd have thought they'd just give juice and water. Not that it concerns me yet as Emilia's only 5 months, unless they spike her bottle when I'm gone!

OP posts:
TooTicky · 30/08/2006 19:36
Shock
Californifrau · 30/08/2006 19:36

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WideWebWitch · 30/08/2006 19:37

I'd be disgusted too. No, not normal imo and not on either. Water or milk.

Spagblog · 30/08/2006 19:37

Maybe it is for the staff?

MaloryTowersIsSlimAndChic · 30/08/2006 19:37

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Gem13 · 30/08/2006 19:37

If they provide that for the children to drink what is the food like?!

hulababy · 30/08/2006 19:40

I would be really shocked to see them serving fizzy pop to the children. I would suspect it is for the staff. You could ask to make sure though.

NotQuiteCockney · 30/08/2006 19:40

Adults drink raspberryade?

I've seen similar piles of drink at the Not Very Good Emergency Daycare we use (rarely).

liquidclocks · 30/08/2006 19:42

Thankfully DS (22 months) doesn't like coke (though he does like bitter lemon ) - but imo soft drinks full of the sort of additives that are in those is very innappropriate for a nursery. If anything with amount of children who go hyper with those drinks they'rejust making life difficult for themselves. Personally, I'd find it difficult but I think I'd have to say something about it - you never know, they might not be for the kids but for the staff - but you won't know if you don't ask. If they are for the kids, consider going to look at a different nursery.

noddyholder · 30/08/2006 19:47

Definitely ask it is terrible if it is.I remember picking ds up from a birthday party when he was about 5 and he had a huge bottle of something fizzy and bright blue and he was as happy as larry and grinning from ear to ear.The party was held in a hall as part of a local playgroup and the boys dad said they had provided all the drinks free as were left over at the end of termso nurseries do/did give this stuff to our kids

HappyMumof2 · 30/08/2006 19:47

Message withdrawn

mumtoone · 31/08/2006 21:54

I would be really unimpressed with a nursery giving children coke. My ds gets hyperactive enough on sugar, I can't imagine what he'd be like with Coke! It is totaly irresponsible of a nursery to give children Coke. My ds's nursery have water, milk or fruit juice. I thought this was normal.

2shoes · 31/08/2006 21:56

sorry I know dd is 11 but she has sn. I sent a small can of coke into school with her one day. Her Teacher was REALLY annoyed said it wasn't something she should have at school.

Think that says it all really

lemonaid · 31/08/2006 21:58

Ours do water and milk. I think they also have juice (actual juice rather than juice drink) but DS has a "no juice" instruction on file.

My guess would also be that it's for the staff. I certainly hope so...

threebob · 31/08/2006 21:58

I visited a kindy and the resource room was full of little bottles of fizzy and biscuits and chocolate. Even if it is for a fundraiser it was inappropriate IMO and it stopped them getting to the resources for the children.

I would deffo ask as Emilia will not be 5 months forever and you have no idea how soon they start them off!

pedilia · 31/08/2006 21:59

I would not be happy at all

fireflyfairy2 · 31/08/2006 22:00

I would seriously hope it was for the staff but have to admit not many adults I know drink rasberryade!! I'd ask them what they give them to drink.

morocco · 31/08/2006 22:14

yep, I'd definitely check it out and pass on info about osteoporosis risk later in life if they drink all that carbonated crap from that young an age, quite apart from all the additives etc. ok once in a while but not at nursery would be what I'd want from my kids nursery

wannaBe1974 · 01/09/2006 14:14

I would be fuming. And actually coka cola is as good as a drug as it is laiden with cafeen and it is not uncommon for people who drink lots of it and then give it up to suffer from withdrawal simptoms. I used to drink a lot of coke and gave it up when I started having heart palpitations. They stopped within days of me giving it up - as someone who used to drink coke as a main drink I would not recommend it children at all and my ds will certainly not be allowed to have it until he is much much older, i.e. until he can go to the shops himself and pay for it.

Happyharriet · 03/09/2006 19:03

As a nursery owner I cannot believe any nursery would do that - it must be for the staff!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.