My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find nursery advice from other Mumsnetters on our Nursery forum.

Nurseries

Pre-school want to claim all 15 hours despite the fact i send my dd for 6- fraudulent or what they all do to get by?!

12 replies

DreamingOfAFullNightsSleep · 19/01/2014 20:07

Seriously, it seems dodgy to me. Pre school say it means they can buy extra resources for the children or it only goes unclaimed. I would imagine it'd just be used by the government as part of the childcare budget and hopefully, usefully used elsewhere.

I've said no, but added one extra morning in case I couldn't go up later if they ran out of spaces.

OP posts:
fhdl34 · 19/01/2014 20:10

I wouldn't mind agreeing to it as long as I could actually use them if I wanted to without penalty later on

AdoraBell · 19/01/2014 20:11

Are they making the claim, or you?

If them then it's not your problem and if asked you just say that she goes for 6 hours. But don't write or sign anything that says she attends for moré hours than you use.

OrlaNuttin · 19/01/2014 20:13

Totally dodgy, fraudulent and definitely not allowed!

Contact your local authority early years team to get it looked into. If you know about it and it goes ahead, you could be in bother too, as you'll have signed a parent contract agreeing the hours you attend and claim.

OrlaNuttin · 19/01/2014 20:15

Also, your preschool should not be allowing you to claim for an afternoon just in case you want it later on. providers are obliged to make reasonable efforts to look into absences and have to report long term absences so that the funding can be reduced.

HeartsTrumpDiamonds · 19/01/2014 20:17

At a meeting fairly recently a council employee told us (providers) that
(a) the council had neither the inclination nor the budget to police or investigate claims agaimst misdoings by providers, and
(b) if we didn't claim the funds, they reverted to central government. The LA couldn't hold on to the "extra " funds and divert them to other child-related spending needs.

So I don't doubt what your nursery is saying. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying I don't doubt it.

HeartsTrumpDiamonds · 19/01/2014 20:21

All our 3 and 4 year olds do full school days so not an issue for us thankfully (we are a school), but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the local nurseries has to resort to tactics like that. Not being allowed to charge top up fees, many Nurseries are in a difficult situation with this. £4.39 per hour per child is not very much.

Littlefish · 19/01/2014 20:22

I posted this on your other thread.

Absolutely fraudulent.

The nursery where I work was audited by the local authority at the end of last term. We had to send in all our registers, funding forms, information we send to parents about funding and fees etc. The LA also said that they would contact random families to check that the information we provided was accurate.

If the Local Authority check up on your nursery, you would be liable for the repayment of the falsely claimed funding, and the nursery could be prosecuted.

If you are not using the extra session, then don't claim for it. If you want to "reserve" that extra session, then you need to use it on a fairly regular basis to avoid it being booked fraudulently.

HSMMaCM · 19/01/2014 21:27

It's fraudulent and means you can't use those hours somewhere else if you want to. They are thieves and don't see it as any different. Just make sure you don't sign anything saying you are taking the full hours.

and everyone should petition the government to pay fair rates

Cranky01 · 28/01/2014 18:19

No don't do it, you (not them) are placing yourself in a difficult situation.

If it helps I ran a nursery that was audited a few years ago. Completely random, but very in dept

StealthPolarBear · 28/01/2014 18:23

Hmm interesting dd is on afternoons but only does 3 per week. But sending her on either of thw other 2 isnt approblem I don't think, we've only done it for thw nativity. Iirc her namw was put down for afternoons but she only attends 3 of them. Never occurred to me this would be fraud is that likely?

cazzybabs · 28/01/2014 18:26

Are the preschool not able to take a person who would use the full hours because you only want some?

Damnautocorrect · 28/01/2014 18:31

Mine did 5 hours a week, they claimed for six. The only thing was I had to sign him in half hour earlier then he'd got there as six was the minimum they could claim for. Basically he ate lunch at home instead.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.