My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find nursery advice from other Mumsnetters on our Nursery forum.

Nurseries

Help with nursery fees

14 replies

mummytasha11 · 12/03/2013 13:32

Hi everyone

I am thinking it might be nice and about time for my 2.2 yr old ds to do a few sessions a week at nursery to interact with other children and do some fun things

I am a single parent and earn about 9k and just in the middle of sorting our tax credits and things

Would I get help towards child care costs?

( ATM he is cared for my grandparents while I'm at work)

OP posts:
nursery123 · 12/03/2013 18:23

Hi

You are only entitled to help with with nursery fees if you qualify for the two year old funding scheme which requires referral from a health visitor and at least another service such as a social worker, paediatrician, family support worker or something similar

You will also have to meet strict criteria for ex child has salt involvement and time at a nursery will help improve this or child is at risk and nursery time will help prevent this so i am sorry it will have to be a bit more than you think it will be nice otherwise you will have to wait till the term after your child turns three to receive the three year old funding accessible at the moment to everyone

LucyLui25 · 12/03/2013 18:25

Depending on your local authority you may be eligible for 2 year funding, it's means tested and in our LA you get 12.5 hrs a week free. You may be limited in your choice of setting but I suggest you look at your local councils website in the family information section to find out what they offer

SimLondon · 12/03/2013 20:59

Seems to be a grey area this, I know in some areas its means tested,
others its the health visitor and or family support workers that can arrange it. E.g if your LO's speech/social interactions/muscle tone? (anything you can think of) would be improved by running around at nursery then it's worth a try - if not then wait for the 15 hours free at three years.

BackforGood · 12/03/2013 21:02

or do you mean would you get credit through tax credits, rather than the '2yr / 3yr funding' ?

Mintyy · 12/03/2013 21:12

Why not wait until your child is 3? There is no benefit to toddlers going to nursery at such a young age.

LynetteScavo · 12/03/2013 21:28

In some areas you can get funding at 2yrs, but in most it's from three years (depending when your DCs birthday is).

Could you ask your grandparents to take him to a toddler group to meet other children? If not, just wait until he's 3 and can do 5 sessions a week a nursery.

You will probably be able to get help with child care (up to 75% I think).

HappySunflower · 12/03/2013 21:48
solveproblem · 13/03/2013 19:03

You would get tax credits to help with the cost.

And it IS beneficial for two year olds to interact and play with other children.

breatheslowly · 13/03/2013 19:26

Mintyy - that isn't necessarily true, more of an opinion.

stopbeingsilly · 13/03/2013 19:37

Mintyy - I'm sure you weren't trying to suggest that there would be any harm in it either though, right? Because that would be most ridiculous.

nursery123 · 13/03/2013 20:09

unfortunately 2 year old funding is not means tested and if you can get it it is for 15 hours (these are hours the provider can decide so can often be "unsociable hours" from 2-6 for example) also not all setting are eligible to provide two year old funding and some choose not to do provide it for monetary reasons but it is impossible to get if there is no circumstance for it

If your child has a recognised additional need you could be eligible, if you have family situation where the child could benefit from being at nursery you are eligible but you are going to need at least two different agencies to refer you for it (unless it is a social service referral which is usually put through instantly)

Also playing and interacting with others at two is in fact beneficial for a child and nursery or preschool is a great stepping stone for life and school and does more good than bad depending on the setting you choose

Mintyy · 13/03/2013 20:15

"Mintyy - I'm sure you weren't trying to suggest that there would be any harm in it either though, right? Because that would be most ridiculous."

You're right. I wasn't trying to suggest that there would be any harm in it. It would indeed be ridiculous and Mumsnet does seem to be choc full of ridiculous posts at the moment.

LucyLui25 · 13/03/2013 21:47

It is means tested in some local authorities. It depends where your based, in mine all you need to do is be in recpit of certain benefits and live in a few named deprived wards, and the nursery can support the application does not have to be a health worker. So check with YOUR local authority then you'll know where you stand

stopbeingsilly · 13/03/2013 22:05

Jolly good.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.