My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find nursery advice from other Mumsnetters on our Nursery forum.

Nurseries

Has your nursery been taken over by Busy Bees?

11 replies

blondieminx · 23/08/2012 12:12

I've just found out that the lovely nursery DD goes to is being taken over by Busy Bees. Has anyone else been through this and how did it work out?

Both me and DH commute. If they change the hours from 7.30 - 6.30 to the standard 8-6 I will be screwed :( my job doesn't exist outside of London and I'd have to work 5 days locally to make the same money I get p/t 3 days in the City. No family available to help as both my mum and my MIL are caring for relatives with cancer.

Just really worried that the hours will be changed to "standard" nursery hours...

OP posts:
blondieminx · 23/08/2012 17:52

Bump...

OP posts:
insancerre · 23/08/2012 18:23

The Busy Bees I used to work in was open 7.30 till 6. Some of them are open 7-7, so I wouldn't panic yet.
Why not phone head office and ask them what the proposd opening hours are?

TiggyD · 24/08/2012 09:36

Lots of chains have different opening hours for different nurseries. It depends on what people want in the area. If 7:30 - 6:30 if popular where you are you'll be fine.

cookielove · 26/08/2012 15:54

Lots of Busy Bee nurseries will cover the hours you require.

But the take over may affect the staff in your nursery, you may see lots of staff leave as often chain nurseries are not as nice as independent nurseries, the big bosses up top seem to have their own idea on childcare and may not sit right with the current staff, also hours may change for the staff and holiday and pay, that may mean a few leave.

Also the fee may change, and your holiday amount.

hth

nextphase · 26/08/2012 16:04

Ours has just been taken over.
The letter stated that our T&C's weren't changing (yet!), and that most policies will not be radically different, but they will tell us as things change in the age ranges we are currently using.
Rates increase letter came at the same time - but it always comes out at end Aug, and has had a 3% increase, which is probably in line with inflation (tho not with our pay, unfortunately).
Hope they don't make too many changes.

A quick google of Busy bee's nurserys suggests they already have one 7-7 and one 7.30-6.30 in the London area, so it doesn't sound like the hours are out of kilter with current opening times.

MPEZ · 27/08/2012 20:46

I have had a lot of experience of Busy Bees, my nursery was taken over and i have to say I was apprehensive at first. Wow what a change.... But forthe better. If you have found an amazing nursery then stick with it. Every nursery is totally reliant on the leadership and enthusiasm of the staff within it. Busy Bees will supportmand enhance the existing provision. My children thrived there and have gone on to do amazing things. If you are concerned about the change of opening hours..ask the question. My experience of the company is that they have the children at heart.

thereinmadnesslies · 27/08/2012 21:08

DS is at a Busy Bees nursery. The core hours are 8-6, but they provide care for an extra hour at the start and end of the day (for an additional fee) on request. DS1 went to a non-chain nursery but we've found BBs a much better experience with DS2.

blondieminx · 29/08/2012 22:19

Thanks everyone. Well the staff are all just saying nothing will change yet... Wait and see I guess. Thanks for the replies Smile

OP posts:
rathlin · 06/09/2012 22:22

My DS is a a London Busybees and hours are 7.30 to 6. Not too many children there between 7.30 and 8am but handy if you need it.

Nici177 · 09/09/2012 20:31

My DD nursery was recently taken over by Busy Bees. There isn't any one particular thing I can point my finger at, but I am less satisfied now than before the takeover. There just seems to be a different 'feel' to the place, it's not quite as jolly as before. They haven't changed much however I hear they have just sent new T&C's out for all parents to sign (we've not had any as DD starts school in one week and is leaving in a few days). They have also put the prices up by about £3/4 per day. Overall I'm sure it's still a great nursery -was rated outstanding by ousted before the takeover - and it's just me who finds it difficult to adjust to change lol.

linsaga · 18/01/2014 21:38

I would love to hear what you decided on this and which nurseries you thought were worth a look. I'm looking in exactly this area now for 6 months time....tia

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.