My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find nursery advice from other Mumsnetters on our Nursery forum.

Nurseries

If your nursery manager sent their own child to a childminder....

21 replies

dribbleface · 19/07/2010 13:34

If your nursery manager sent their own child to a child minder how would you feel about that?

You see my little boy goes to my nursery but he is not settled and i find it a distraction, although i do not go in with him i can hear him

So what are your thoughts?

OP posts:
toccatanfudge · 19/07/2010 13:35

It wouldn't bother me one jot.

nickschick · 19/07/2010 13:38

I am a nursery nurse and I wouldnt as a rule send my own child to a nursery not because they arent very nice places,just personal preference- maybe the childminder is cheaper than the nursery? maybe the childminder minds an older sibling too,maybe the childminder is nearer to her home so other family member can collect the child.

dribbleface · 19/07/2010 13:40

thanks, just a consideration at the moment, i truth i think he likes it, just is a bit vocal about the bits he doesn't.

Gonna give it a few more weeks and then look into it.

Glad opinion so far is its ok, just worry what the parents would think

OP posts:
Snuppeline · 19/07/2010 13:42

Not all nursery assistants wants their children at their work place either. She may for many reasons consider that impracticle/improper/distracting etc. If your very curious perhaps ask who the childminder is and go see that person and consider yourself where you'd rather have your ds.

ViveLaFrak · 19/07/2010 13:43

Continuity of care for a sibling/for when the child is older?
Longer working hours than nursery is open for i.e. having to stay late/open up early?
Maybe the nursery doesn't offer a reduction for the manager's child so it's not economically viable?
Maybe manager doesn't want child at work as it might be distraction/she fears favouritism?

Plenty of reasons.

I think the issue is more with your own child not being happy, which is tough to deal with, and nothing to do with the nursery manager's opinion/preferences for childcare. It doesn't reflect badly on the nursery.

dribbleface · 19/07/2010 13:45

Sorry you misunderstand, although reading it back I can see why. I am the nursery manager, so its me i'm talking about!

OP posts:
nickschick · 19/07/2010 13:45

When I worked at a private nursery I negotiated a 33% reduction in ds2s fees -however this did mean I was working for peanuts when much of that time ds2 could have been cared for by dh or grandad.

ViveLaFrak · 19/07/2010 15:03

In any case it's to do with your child not your nursery!

Some children don't suit nursery care and there are plenty of justifiable reasons for sending your child elsewhere even if the parents want to be all judgy.
atworknotworking · 19/07/2010 15:20

I can see that it can be a distraction, was in similar position with my dd, I made sure she didn't see me and if she did it was a general, passing hello, bye I'm at work kind of thing, luckily my dd was old enough (eventually) to understand but fellow staff found it hard esp with very young ones who were settling in.

I doubt parents will even notice tbh, if they do just say it fits in better with work / life / family for DC to be with X. As a manager you have the power to put something right thats wrong so I doubt very much parents will think you don't send your Dc to nursery cos its naff IYSWIM

dribbleface · 19/07/2010 16:34

thanks, am going to give it a few weeks (he just moved rooms and this has started him off again) and see. Just hope my parents are all as nice as you lot!

OP posts:
stripeyknickersspottysocks · 19/07/2010 16:54

I'd think she was finding it tough having her child at her workplace. Thats all.

dribbleface · 19/07/2010 21:40

finding it tough is about right!

Thanks all for thoughts, will stop worrying about what everyone else thinks now, and continue worrying about what to do for the best (to move him or not to move him!)

OP posts:
brazenhussy · 19/07/2010 22:51

I am a childminder and all my DC's went to private nursery, just my preference, that's all.

mnistooaddictive · 20/07/2010 10:01

TBH I would think it was odd. I understand your difficulties but I would feel that it was hardly a sign of confidence in your own nursery.

sunny2010 · 20/07/2010 10:12

I am a nursery nurse with my own child in nursery. If he has just started then personally I would stick with it. The first bit was awful when settling mine in but now I wouldnt change it for the world. I understand how hard it is at the start though because you are trying to do 1000 things at once.

If you have never done it then you wouldnt understand how stressful it is to settle a child in to nursery when you are actually there. A colleague for mine did it for 4 hours and said she didnt know how I had done it, cause its very hard. It isnt like it for every though and they get used to it.

BythewayItsStillMe · 20/07/2010 10:25

When I used to work in a day nursery we had about 10 children of staff there and it was really difficult.

Children reduced to tears when they saw their parent go past, staff not being able to go and get something from another room as 'X might see me and start crying again'.
The managers daughter was in our room and was a little madam and lots of us felt very self concious keeping her out of trouble with the manager pretending not to watch.

I was offered a job at DSs nursery as cover until they employed new staff but I turned it down as I just didn't feel it was fair on DS, the other children or the other staff.

I doubt parents will pay much attention but if it was me I'd probably find myself dropping my reasons into conversation just so they filtered through the parents to ease my conscience!

The owner of DSs nursery has her daughter in the same room as DS but she works from their other nursery in town, that works well but I doubt she would have her DD in nursery if they only had one and she was working there.

dribbleface · 20/07/2010 11:23

mnistooaddictive - thats what i'm worried about. Guess at the end of the day my DS has got to come first but it does concern me.

Sunny2010 - he's been there for about a year but moved rooms week or so again and is very unsettled. Will give it a chance

Bythewayitsstillme - i think my staff are finding it hard to be honest.

Brazenhussy - some how that seems better, don't know why!

OP posts:
ProfessorLaytonIsMyLoveSlave · 20/07/2010 11:38

I think it must be very tough having your own child at a nursery where you work, so I wouldn't blink an eye at a nursery manager opting to send her own child to a childminder.

cath100 · 17/04/2011 17:22

got to be honest, i would think you didnt buy into what your selling. understand from your point of view reading this, but would feel differently if i was considering your nursery...

dribbleface · 18/04/2011 09:05

Thanks cath, very old thread, he settled well in the end!

OP posts:
ChocolateCoveredChitChat · 18/04/2011 12:56

When I volunteer at my DS's nursery he gets all clingy with me and wants to be with me. I would never want to work where he is, because it would be difficult for him and for me.

Other parents would probably view it in the same way.

Also, sending to another nursery probably wouldn't work as the hours of nurseries would mean you wouldn't be able to pick up in time if you had to close your nursery, so a CM would be a very sensible option.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.