Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

WEBCHAT GUIDELINES: 1. One question per member plus one follow-up. 2. Keep your question brief. 3. Don't moan if your question doesn't get answered. 4. Do be civil/polite. 5. If one topic or question threatens to overwhelm the webchat, MNHQ will usually ask for people to stop repeating the same question or point.

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Webchat with Labour leadership contender Jess Phillips MP on Monday January 20 at 1pm

246 replies

BojanaMumsnet · 17/01/2020 09:10

Hello

We’re pleased to announce a webchat with Labour leadership contender Jess Phillips MP on Monday 20 January at 1pm.

Jess Phillips is Labour MP for Birmingham Yardley. Prior to being elected she worked for Women’s Aid, supporting victims of domestic violence. Her campaign says she is often described as the most “outspoken politician at Westminster”, having led campaigns against school cuts, immigration rights and better funding for women’s refuges.

In advance of her coming in, Jess has asked us to pass on the following: “if you share the aims and values of the Labour Party, you can have a vote on who should be Labour's next Leader if you join the Party by 5pm on Monday 20 January. You can join here and if you do it by 5pm on Monday you WILL have a vote in the contest. Find out more here.”

Please do join the chat on Monday at 1pm or if you can’t make it, leave a question here in advance.

We've invited and are hoping to have all of the contenders on over the next few weeks.

As always, please remember our webchat guidelines - one question per user, follow-ups only if there’s time and most questions have been answered, and please keep it civil. Also if one topic is dominating a thread, mods might request that people don't continue to post what's effectively the same question or point. (And we’ll suspend the accounts of anyone who continues after we've posted to ask people to stop, so please take note.) Rest assured we will ALWAYS let the guest know that it's an area of concern to multiple users and will encourage them to engage with those questions.

Many thanks,
MNHQ

Webchat with Labour leadership contender Jess Phillips MP on Monday January 20 at 1pm
Please
or

Lifeinthelastlane · 18/01/2020 11:54

Do you use zoflora?

Please
or

UpperLowercaseSymbolNumber · 18/01/2020 12:06

Jess, I had voted Labour all my adult life. But last year I felt politically homeless. In December I went to the polling station not knowing who I would vote for and spent 5 minutes staring at the ballot paper before very reluctantly voting for the Labour candidate. Yesterday I re-joined the Labour Party so that I could vote in the leadership election in the hope that we can elect a sensible leader.

My question to you is how as leader you would move the party from focusing on woke virtue signalling instead to realistic and sensible policies that would benefit the country whilst actually resonating with voters.

Please
or

Ereshkigal · 18/01/2020 12:13

Hi Jess

What's your favourite biscuit? I like a bourbon.

Please
or

YogaDrone · 18/01/2020 12:32

Thanks for coming on Jess.

What is your view on whether surrogacy (both commercial and altruistic) should be legal in the UK?

Follow up - if you say commercial surrogacy should be legalised; how would you see the law working with regard to protecting and safeguarding vulnerable women? i.e. to prevent them from being coerced into surrogacy for financial gain at the risk of damaging their own physical, emotional and mental health?

Thanks.

Please
or

LemonGingerCakes · 18/01/2020 13:09

Exactly Huggybear16

Please
or

traceyracer · 18/01/2020 13:10

Why can't I see Jess' posts?

Please
or

WeBuiltCisCityOnSexistRoles · 18/01/2020 13:14

@traceyracer the webchat doesn't start until 1pm on Monday. This thread is so that questions can be put to Jess Philips in advance so she has lots of time to prepare answers, and questions which are deemed unsuitable and which Jess Philips doesn't want to answer can be deleted.

Please
or

ArabellaDoreenFig · 18/01/2020 13:37

Jess,

how do you think you can engage women in politics? Are there any specific initiatives you propose to make sure that women are better represented ?

Please
or

noblegiraffe · 18/01/2020 14:25

Hi Jess,

Neil Kinnock paved the way for a successful Labour government by rooting out Militant from the Labour Party and saving it from what many saw as a hard left takeover.

Do you see yourself as Labour leader doing a similar job regarding Momentum and their takeover of the NEC and attempts to deselect MPs who do not share their values?

Please
or

Sunkisses · 18/01/2020 14:34

Do you think there is a place for All-Women's Shortlists? If so, why do you think we need them and why do we women continue to be under represented?

Please
or

Sunkisses · 18/01/2020 14:35

What policies do you think should be put in place that value motherhood and aren't all about encouraging women back into the workplace straight after she's grown, birthed and fed her baby?

Please
or

GinUnicorn · 18/01/2020 15:10

Hi Jess,

How do you feel about the treatment of women during childbirth and postnatal care? Various Mumsnet threads show we don’t feel listened to and there is a lack of asking consent. Additionally the postnatal wards seem woefully understaffed meaning women who have undergone major surgery are being left without basic care and attention all the while trying to care for a newborn.

There is also an issue of men staying overnight in antenatal wards. Whilst having dads during labour is important if a woman wants them there how do you feel about essentially double ward capacity and taking away women’s right to privacy and dignity after childbirth by allowing men to stay and essentially making wards unisex. How do you think women who have been raped or assaulted would feel about this?

Please
or

HermioneWeasley · 18/01/2020 15:27

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Please
or

Lalalalalalalalaland · 18/01/2020 15:29

Hi Jess.

I'm a parent of 3 children, one of whom is severely autistic and is educated in a special school.

How do you feel about the constant cuts that are made to the most vulnerable people in our society, there is no funding for respite, a lack of SEN social workers. My sons special school has has to cut its nursery places due to a lack of funding leaving many preschool children with SEN without any early education.

Also what are your thoughts on carers allowance being deducted £1 for £1 from universal credit? Under UC i can earn a certain amount before i get any money deducted, why can I not recieve carers allowance (which is pittance) without it affecting UC? Family carers already recieve a woeful amount for the sheer amount of support they provide with little or no support or respite from the agencies that are meant to help them.

If you were labour leader what would you suggest to better support family carers?

Please
or

ParsleyPot · 18/01/2020 16:13

Smile Hi Jess,

I'm a fan of yours. If you became prime minister, what would be your plans for UK private schools?

There are many (previously Labour- voting people) who were scared away by talk of abolishing independent schools.

Not everyone who sends their child to a fee-paying school is a Tory.

Please
or

HateIsNotGood · 18/01/2020 16:54

Hi Jess - I 'like' you because you've done well when you've been on HIGNFY and obviously have a sense of humour which goes a long way with me.

Anyway, if your Leadership bid fails (this time) what Shadow Cabinet position would you prefer to have.

Please
or

KeepNHSWardsSingleSEX · 18/01/2020 18:57

Hi Jess,
Thanks for coming on Smile I have a vote and am as yet undecided.

Have you read the Royal Society Science Book of the Year, Invisible Women, and if so, as Labour Leader, Would you consider it important to develop policies to deter companies from treating males as the “default humans”, thereby making this planet more dangerous for women? (EG encourage pharmaceutical firms to test drugs on females despite our pesky menstrual cycles.)

Please
or

ShePersisted · 18/01/2020 19:03

Hi Jess,

I'm a big fan of yours and thanks for doing this!

I wonder what you will do to combat antisemitism in the Labour Party and how you will work to repair the rift that's grown between the party and the Jewish community? I'm short, please make it possible for Jews like myself to vote labour again!

Thanks!

Please
or

YesItsADebate · 18/01/2020 19:28

Hi Jess,

Like many women, I’m a Labour Party member but haven’t voted or campaigned for Labour for a couple of years due to the misogyny at every level from the leadership to the branches and the bullying from Momentum. Despite raising concerns many times that the CLP is more exclusionary for women and moderates than the Communist Party meetings I used to attend, and volunteering my own time and resources to help fix it, absolutely nothing has been done.

How will the Party change under your leadership to enable free debate and the inclusion of women’s voices?

Please
or

SeasonallySnowyPeasant · 18/01/2020 19:40

P.S. Following on from @ShePersisted’s post, I raised concerns about anti-Semitism in the CLP but got shouted down by the CLP Chairman (male, Momentum). I’m not Jewish but have Jewish family in Israel.

Please
or

Doryhunky · 18/01/2020 20:56

If you don’t win the leadership and the party continues its trajectory towards the hard left and unelectability, what will you do? Don’t you think the electorate deserve a centre-left, pro-European viable option? Time for a new party?

Please
or

Thelnebriati · 18/01/2020 21:21

Rape convictions are at an all time low, while rape and sexual assaults are at epidemic levels - even in schools and hospitals where women and girls can expect to be under supervision.

An NHS whistle blower revealed that two women a week are raped while on psychiatric wards; and 65 incidents are logged each week with many victims being disbelieved.
Under your leadership, what steps will Labour take to prevent and tackle the epidemic of rape and sexual assault?

(I'm not talking about punitive action after conviction, I'm talking about active prevention and safeguarding.)

Please
or

Dolorabelle · 18/01/2020 21:41

Jess, I’ve voted Labour all my life (even in the most recent election). I’ve held my nose and voted Labour despite the misogyny of Momentum and the insidious anti-Semitism.

Why should I continue to have to hold my nose? What will you - or ANY. Leader of the Labour Party do - to rid the party of sexism and racism?

Please
or

GloGirl · 18/01/2020 23:27

Considering your party will likely be in opposition for a number of years, and has been previously thought to be a spectacularly useless opposition under JC's leadership, how will you rise the level of effective debate as the second party? The previous plan of political game play, policy of respect and openness failed.

How can we make the Labour Party effective at guarding the govt again?

Please
or

womanaf · 19/01/2020 02:16

I believe surrogacy should be illegal because it should never be acceptable to sell, buy or gift children.

What do you think?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?