Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

This topic is for discussions about campaigns Mumsnet is running or may be planning to run. Go here for other campaigns or petitions and go here for the Mumsnet campaigns hub.

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Mumsnet campaigns

MNHQ here: Breaking news on the Online Safety Bill

82 replies

JustineMumsnet · 18/03/2022 11:35

Hi all,

As you might have seen, yesterday the Government published the Online Safety Bill, a lengthy piece of legislation designed to tackle online abuse and harm.

Since proposals for the Bill were first introduced, we’ve been raising concerns with MPs and Ministers about how well-meaning but over-reaching legislation could affect sites like Mumsnet, and stop our users talking about the things that matter to them.

And, following our campaigning, we’re pleased to see that some welcome changes have been made to the Bill. Most notably, that sites like Mumsnet will no longer be able to be pressured into removing users’ posts by malicious complaints that say our content is psychologically harmful. Instead, Parliament will now establish what counts as ‘legal but harmful’ content.

But we’re still concerned about how the Bill could affect Mumsnet - and we’re particularly worried about what Parliament will designate as ‘legal but harmful’ content. There are thousands of conversations on Mumsnet every day where women reach out for support after experiencing sexual abuse, or discovering that their kids are struggling with self-harm or eating disorders. Our fear is that blanket definitions of subjects like these as ‘legal but harmful’ could force us to shut those conversations down, meaning that the incredible support that Mumsnet users offer each other in situations like these will be lost.

In the coming weeks, we’ll be talking to Ministers, MPs, Lords and other organisations who share our concerns about the Bill, and doing everything we can to make sure it doesn’t negatively affect Mumsnet users.

Please watch this space for further info - and to find out how you can help us keep the conversations that make Mumsnet so brilliant. You can also sign up to the campaigns mailing list and make sure you never miss an update.

Big thanks,
Justine

PS if you’d like to support our campaigning work, sign up to Mumsnet Premium here

OP posts:
Please
or

Clymene · 18/03/2022 12:04

Thanks Justine

Please
or

Helleofabore · 18/03/2022 12:11

Thank you Justine.

Please
or

EmpressaurusWitchDoesntBurn · 18/03/2022 12:13

Thank you Justine.

I hope you can also make sure that we’re allowed to keep talking about women’s rights in FWR.

Please
or

MustardRaisin · 18/03/2022 12:16

Mumsnet seems to be a rare (lone?) space to discuss women's safeguarding issues. I'm sure it's a headache for moderation but I'm so grateful that Mumsnet allows these conversations to happen (and of course my fellow users for starting and having them). Sounds like these could be at risk if Mumsnet weren't feeding back accordingly, so thank you.

Please
or

Ereshkigalangcleg · 18/03/2022 12:20

Thank you Justine.

Please
or

DomesticatedZombie · 18/03/2022 12:20

Thank you, Justine.

Please
or

littlbrowndog · 18/03/2022 12:24

Justine 💪💪💪

Please
or

JellySaurus · 18/03/2022 12:27

@EmpressaurusWitchDoesntBurn

Thank you Justine.

I hope you can also make sure that we’re allowed to keep talking about women’s rights in FWR.

Freedom of speech must be defended in order to define and protect wider freedoms.
Please
or

ofwarren · 18/03/2022 12:51

Thank you Justine

Please
or

nepeta · 18/03/2022 12:57

I am so grateful to Mumsnet for this. It is extremely important for all of us to be able to have open and respectful debates about crucial issues. Thank you for doing some of the heavy lifting on this one.

Please
or

TofuDelights · 18/03/2022 13:03

Thank you Justine. Another one adding my thanks that the massively important FWR board exists.

Please
or

BernardBlackMissesLangCleg · 18/03/2022 13:23

Thank you

Please
or

SamphiretheStickerist · 18/03/2022 13:39

Thank you, Justine.

The freedom to speak as we do here should be protected, as you say, for some women this is all they have in times of dire need.

Please
or

TheFnozwhowasmirage · 18/03/2022 13:54

Thank you Justine.

Please
or

ResisterRex · 18/03/2022 13:57

Thank you Justine Thanks

Please
or

theglitch · 18/03/2022 14:29

"we’re particularly worried about what Parliament will designate as ‘legal but harmful’ content"

You and me both.

Don't know how I feel about this mass censorship TBH.

Please
or

SelfPortraitWithPterodactyl · 18/03/2022 14:31

Thank you!

Please
or

Chakraleaf · 18/03/2022 14:36

@MustardRaisin

Mumsnet seems to be a rare (lone?) space to discuss women's safeguarding issues. I'm sure it's a headache for moderation but I'm so grateful that Mumsnet allows these conversations to happen (and of course my fellow users for starting and having them). Sounds like these could be at risk if Mumsnet weren't feeding back accordingly, so thank you.

This
Please
or

kennelmaid · 18/03/2022 14:42

Thank you

Please
or

sashagabadon · 18/03/2022 14:48

Yes I agree sone of the aspects of this new bill are concerning for free speech.

Please
or

VestofAbsurdity · 18/03/2022 14:57

Thank you Justine.

Please
or

unwashedanddazed · 18/03/2022 16:02

Thank you.

Please
or

Linguini · 18/03/2022 16:27

It's extr

Please
or

Linguini · 18/03/2022 16:28

It's extremely important that this bill is worded correctly.

Please
or

DazzlePaintedBattlePants · 18/03/2022 16:46

Agree with everyone else on here - vital that women’a ability to speak freely online and in real life is maintained.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?