My feed

to access all these features

Find financial and money saving discussions including debt and pension chat on our Money forum.

Money matters

Is it possible to rent existing home and then buy another

6 replies

dizzydo · 03/05/2005 18:57

Does anyone know whether it is possible to turn our mortgage on our existing home into a "buy to let" mortgage and then release the equity in that property to buy somewhere else (or use the equity as security for a new v.large mortgage on a second home).

I know we will of course have to see an FA but we are just at the "talking it over stage" and I wondered if anyone had done anything like this and what their experiences.

I would greatly appreciate any Mumsnet knowledge. Thanks.

OP posts:
Twiglett · 03/05/2005 19:01

yes of course it is, but don't forget buy to let tends to be at a higher rate

dizzydo · 03/05/2005 19:02

Any idea of any particular firms who specialises in this particular thing Twiglett?

OP posts:
beachyhead · 03/05/2005 19:14

Most mortgage lenders will have a buy to let product. They may need more equity, so you may not be able to release as much as you would like, and the rate will be higher. You should also think about Capital Gains Tax on any further increase in the value of your house.

oops · 03/05/2005 19:15

Message withdrawn

dizzydo · 03/05/2005 19:17

That's a good point Beachhead hadn't thought of capital gains. Presumably we would pay that on whichever one we sold first? Am I right in thinking that and if so presumably one tries to sell the one with the least equity?? (unless it all goes horribly wrong we would be looking to keep both properties for about five years)

OP posts:
Freckle · 03/05/2005 19:19

You also need to check out the letting market in the area you wish to let. Many speculators have been caught out by buying to let only to find that the letting market had been flooded and the rent they were able to charge didn't cover the mortgage repayments.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.