My feed

to access all these features

Find financial and money saving discussions including debt and pension chat on our Money forum.

Money matters

I have no passport/driving licence/birth certificate Can i get a bank account?

16 replies

swiperfox · 21/04/2005 17:47

any ideas?

OP posts:
JanH · 21/04/2005 17:48

Why no birth cert?

ggglimpopo · 21/04/2005 17:48

Message withdrawn

ggglimpopo · 21/04/2005 17:48

Message withdrawn

JanH · 21/04/2005 17:50

Hi gggl

Socci · 21/04/2005 17:50

Message withdrawn

Twiglett · 21/04/2005 17:50

get a duplicate birth cert then

and you'll probably need household bills

stitch · 21/04/2005 17:52

aha, you dont esist them!
phantom of the net....

JanH · 21/04/2005 17:55

I'm sure you do have to have some proof of personal ID now because of money laundering laws - just address proof isn't good enough. But if you have an account already maybe that is proof in itself?

swiperfox · 21/04/2005 17:56

Just lost it a long time ago - i didnt mean literally dont exist lol

I just wanted to go and open a basic account tomorrow and wondered if i'd be able to with bills etc

OP posts:
LIZS · 21/04/2005 17:59

Agree with JanH. Banking tightened up a few years back and you may need birth certificate, passport or may be driving licence with photo in addition to household bill as proof of address.

JanH · 21/04/2005 17:59

opening a UK bank account (for overseas students, dunno if it all applies to Brits}

JanH · 21/04/2005 18:01

aha - have you got "Benefits book or original notification letter from the Benefits Agency (including Dept. of Work and Pensions) and/or Job Centre Plus confirming the right to benefit"?

That will do apparently. (I'm thinking child benefit) (though if you are anything like me you will not know where a letter is!)

JanH · 21/04/2005 18:03

Full list here (from RBS)

swiperfox · 21/04/2005 18:10

ThanksforthatJanH-and you're rightI havenoidea wherethey are!!!(mustget a new keyboard too!!)

It's becauseaman just came roundwith £200 credit formeand i couldntgivehim anything but bills for ID so hewent away lol

OP posts:
stitch · 21/04/2005 18:13

if youwere born in the uk getting a replacement birth certificate is a doddle. costs about a tenner i think. you just go to the registry office near where you were born, and they shoudl dig it out.

Ameriscot2005 · 21/04/2005 18:21

You can also order your birth certficate online:


Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.