My feed

to access all these features

Find financial and money saving discussions including debt and pension chat on our Money forum.

Money matters

what chance has friend got.............

7 replies

jofeb04 · 09/04/2005 11:17

Hiya all,
Ive recently found out that my mate was raped recently, and is pregnant through it. It was with the rape drug, her drink was spiked and she went to the hospital. She went to the police, had a statement taken etc, and was at a line-up yesturday, which she spotted the man who did it. He was her bf at the time. The police has got proof that the drug was in her system at the time (hospital records etc), and cctv. Theres also the dating scan that she has had recently also clarrifies that something did happen.
He has been arrested for it, and will appear in court. She doesnt have to go the court to face him as the police feel they have enough evidence and its not best for her or the baby.
What chance has she got of this s**t being locked away, how long for?
What rights would he have over the baby (major concern for her) a) if hes found guilty and b)if hes not found guilty.
Any advice will be apprecitated

OP posts:
biglips · 09/04/2005 12:22

OMG!!! ive never been in this situation but hopes that scumbag gets locked away and should throw the key away ..... Must be a big thing for her to keep the baby though... is she keeping the baby? and how far is she?.... if it ever happens to me (touch wood) i couldnt handle keeping the baby

jofeb04 · 10/04/2005 10:04

Hiya liglips,
She is keeping the baby, doesnt belive in having an abortion.
She was in a 2 year relationship with my bil before she went out with this s**t, and my bil is standing by her as well.
Any advice out there?

OP posts:
beansprout · 10/04/2005 10:06

I'm sorry, I have no idea but I do wish her well (and hope he gets what is coming to him).

jofeb04 · 10/04/2005 10:33

thx beensprout

OP posts:
Blu · 10/04/2005 10:51

Oh, poor woman, what a horrible situation.
I have no idea about any legal implications, but my first reaction is that she would really benefit from some advice and re-assurance. Can the police victim support service help her? If she is worried about him having rights she should certainly bring this up? Would the CAB help her, or a local community law centre? if it was me, I'd want the outcome of his court case to include an injunction against coming near me or the baby, but I've no idea if this is possible. If the police are prosecuting, I guess she doesn't have her own solicitor as the CPP will be prosecuting him. I wonder if any women's legal aid service could advise her? i'll try and google...

tribpot · 10/04/2005 11:31

I wondered if someone at Rape Crisis might be able to advise her, if not the local Citizens Advice Bureau would probably be a good place to start.

What a horrific situation. I hope she can at least make sure he can never come near her or the baby. How long he might stay locked up is, of course, a different matter.

Blu · 11/04/2005 13:59

sexual violence legal helpline run by women

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.