My feed

to access all these features

Find financial and money saving discussions including debt and pension chat on our Money forum.

Money matters

Is there anything else she can do to keep him out of the house?

2 replies

Lauriefairycake · 09/06/2008 12:59

My sil told my mil 2 weeks ago that her stepfather abused her when she was 11.

Mil now (obviousl) wants to get divorced from (step)father-in-law.

He has been in hospital since she found out and is due to be discharge tomorrow. He is returning to the house because he needs physio/care and social services will only provide them for him at home.

He will not be persuaded to go elsewhere as he could go out of the county and stay with his son but social services will not provide his care out of the county.

Tomorrow my poor mil-in-law and sis-in-law have to put up with him returning and wait til he is violent or abusive in order to make a police complaint

A civil injunction will cost £2,500 and no one can afford it -and it will take 3 weeks.

It looks like the two of them will have to move out instead or put up with him 'gloating' over the abuse or being angry. They also don't want to move out as he will take it out on their 'stuff'.

Anyone got any advice? I can't imagine how bad it will be for sis-in-law (aged only 22)

I know legally is entitled to be there - is just seems so unfair on them.

OP posts:
mumblechum · 09/06/2008 13:17

Sadly, if there is no current threat of assault then your mil will have to wait for the divorce to take its course, ie prob 4/5 months. If fil isn't showing any signs of agreeing to sell the house pretty soon, your mil should, within the divorce proceedings, apply for an order for sale.

As sil is an adult, she won't be taken into account in the divorce proceedings. Can she move into rented accom whilst all this is going on?

Lauriefairycake · 09/06/2008 13:28

he has agreed in writing to sell.

Yes, she is an adult, but she is on her gap year and trying to help her mum (who obviously is an emotional mess) and she has nowhere else to live (typical student ;))

He has threatened them both previously (unrelated to this). I have just been talking to mil on the phone and she's getting locks put on her and her daughter's bedroom today so he can't come into the rooms.

I'm fairly sure when he turns up that he will be belligerant and aggressive and it won't be long before they have to call the police.

I am going to be there tomorrow when he comes back.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.