My feed

to access all these features

Find financial and money saving discussions including debt and pension chat on our Money forum.

Money matters

Wills - assets in the UK but living overseas. What to do?

11 replies

UnderRated · 01/03/2008 03:16

I have one of those DIY packs you get in WH Smiths - if I do that, will it be sufficient?

I have a complicated situation - house in my name in the UK, married to a Brit but separated and we both live in the US. DS will stay in the US. I want to make sure that whatever I leave goes to DS.

Does this make any sense?

OP posts:
Califrau · 01/03/2008 03:32

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

UnderRated · 01/03/2008 03:36

Aaah, Califrau, I was actually hoping you would know about this . It's tricky, isn't it?

I wondered about posting this in living overseas but will wait here for a while and hope that someone knowledgeable comes along soon.

OP posts:
alipiggie · 01/03/2008 03:42

Hi there. My suggestion would be, use the DIY and make it specific to the UK and you can get the same kind of packs over here. Find you particular to your State and do the same accordingly. You can normally get a 20/30 min consult with a lawyer free for this kind of thing. Our mediator told us that there a legal form shops that you can go to and buy these things.

UnderRated · 01/03/2008 03:55

Ok, thanks Ali. I do think a lawyer would be a good idea but I can't face having yet another one to deal with. 4 is plenty. And extremely $$$$$

Will see about a free consultation

OP posts:
alipiggie · 01/03/2008 04:17

Totally understand. Our mediator who was a divorce lawyer said you get buy will templates (like the Wh Smith one0 and they are good enough.

this might help

UnderRated · 01/03/2008 05:19

Thanks Ali

OP posts:
UnderRated · 01/03/2008 17:36

Anyone else?

OP posts:
janinlondon · 04/03/2008 11:55

Your UK assets will be subject to Inheritance tax of course......?

Earlybird · 04/03/2008 17:09

Think you'll probably need the advice of lawyers in both countries.

Might an International accountant be able to offer insight?

SittingBull · 08/03/2008 03:13

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

UnderRated · 08/03/2008 03:23

Thanks everyone. That looks useful, SB. I think I'll work on my UK version tomorrow and then do an American one to make sure I have it all covered.

These things are so complicated

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.