My feed

to access all these features

Find financial and money saving discussions including debt and pension chat on our Money forum.

Money matters

How do I go about buying a piece of land form my neighbour?

3 replies

littlerach · 08/02/2008 15:58

My neighbour has offered us part og her garden.
It would double the size if our garden, and we are happy ot buy it for her price.

However, one of her stipulations is that we pay the legal fees associated.

How do I find out what the fees are?
I presume I need to do it through Land Registry - how??!
Will the deeds all need ot be re done?

Any ball park figures??


OP posts:
LadyOfWaffle · 08/02/2008 15:59

erm, TBH I think i'd go to a solicitor - you wanna make sure all the paperwork is right and legally binding.

mrsmike · 10/02/2008 11:15

Littlerach I have just done this! If you are still there I can go in to more detail.

PrincessPeaHead · 10/02/2008 11:52

the trouble about buying a small piece of land is that there is just as much work involved in the conveyance as if it was a huge house (arguably more if yuo are carving out a piece of land from a bigger area, so creating an new title)

you need to get her to ask her solicitor for a fixed price for the job, or alternatively cap the fees (ie say you will pay all legal fees up to a maximum of X - your solicitor should be able to give you an idea of what is reasonable)

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.