My feed

to access all these features

Find financial and money saving discussions including debt and pension chat on our Money forum.

Money matters

Childrens savings and tax question

11 replies

hurricane · 17/01/2008 20:36

I think I'm right that you are allowed to save up to £5000 in an account for a child without it being taxable? What happens if you reach the £5000 limit in a children's bank account to the interest? And does the interest then make the account liable to tax? And will the bank take the tax off automatically? And what if you also had another savings schemes for the same child like a long term investment thing where you put £25 a month in till the child is 18. Do you have to declare this? And who to? Very confused.

OP posts:
Iota · 17/01/2008 20:40

from HMRC website:

Non taxpayers

Please note that if you are a UK Resident individual you cannot arrange to have interest paid gross for AIFs, this includes the interest paid to children. However, where appropriate parents or guardians can claim tax back on the child?s behalf.

Children, like adults, can have a certain amount of income before they start paying tax. They are entitled to the same personal allowance as other people. So, for example, for the tax year 2003-2004, they can claim back the tax on their savings income if their total taxable income is less than £4,615.

Children under 16 in Scotland or under 18 in England, Wales and Northern Ireland cannot apply personally to get their tax back; a parent, guardian or trustee must do it for them.

Be careful

There are special rules if the savings (including units in unit trusts and shares in open-ended investment companies) have been given by a parent. If gifts from a parent produce more than £100 gross income a year, the whole of the income from the gifts is normally taxed as that parent?s income. A child cannot get back any tax on that income. Nor can interest paying accounts be registered to have interest paid without tax taken off.

hurricane · 17/01/2008 20:46

Thanks Iota, so will the bank automatically take the tax of my dcs' account once it gets past £4,615 or do I have to declare this money on MY tax return. Still confused.

OP posts:
BigGitDad · 17/01/2008 20:48

Excellent post Iota!

DontCallMeHun · 17/01/2008 20:49

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ChasingSquirrels · 17/01/2008 20:51

it depends who gave the dc's the money that is generating the income.
If it was you - then you should declare it on your tax return if the annual interest is greater than £100.
If it wasn't you - then you should have filled in a non-tax payer form for the bank, and they won't deduct tax. Not sure if the income is more than £5,200 (or whatever the annual allowance is now), but at that point they should be tax payers and not entitled to have the interest paid without deduction of tax.

hurricane · 17/01/2008 21:03

Right, so I only need to worry if the interest (from all of each child's savings in different schemes?) is greater than £100 EACH YEAR? Otherwise there's no problem?

OP posts:
ChasingSquirrels · 17/01/2008 21:04

yes, remember the tax year runs 6 April to following 5 April.

hurricane · 17/01/2008 21:10

OK, thanks.

OP posts:
Legacy · 17/01/2008 22:08

You should have filled in an R85 form when you opened the kids' bank accounts - to instruct the bank/ building society not to deduct basic rate tax.

What I want to know though is how on earth do they (HMRC) monitor what money comes from where?

We pay all child benefit into the kids' accounts, but that would amount to c £800 each, so that won't generate £100!

However whenever we get cheques from relatives etc they also go in there, and I keep a list with the account books of what all the cheques were (e.g. granny at Easter etc). But no one has ever asked about it!

My kids make me feel rather poor - DS1 now has nearly £10K (but doesn't know it )

janinlondon · 18/01/2008 10:59

Legacy I have heard of the tax office asking parents to provide proof of where the money came from. The onus is on the parent to show its not a tax shelter. We keep records of all the gifts and always ask that money given to our DD is in cheque form so it can be traced.

Legacy · 18/01/2008 18:38

Jan - that's interesting. Well, looks like my list is a good idea then, better keep it up!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.