My feed

to access all these features

Find financial and money saving discussions including debt and pension chat on our Money forum.

Money matters

There is no way I can claim this back is there??

5 replies

FlameInHell · 01/11/2007 10:28

I changed car insurance, due to start on the 5th, payments to come out on the 5th of each month.

They have taken the initial "deposit" payment on the day I set it up (30th), and not 5th as I expected - our money clears on 1st each month. As I result I went overdrawn and my bank charged me £30

Can I kick off and ask the insurance company to pay me my £30? They didn't say that it would come out NOW, just that it would start from the 5th, and payments would come out on 5th.


OP posts:
jinxed · 01/11/2007 10:31

you can phone and ask, but tbh, everytime something like insurance needs a deposit it is usually taken there and then.

Its crap mate, i know - my bank took a DD 2 days early last month and i got charged £28.... was fuming too.

ScoobyDooooo · 01/11/2007 10:34

No not from the insurance people because when you pay a deposit it comes out there & then, did you not give them a card number to pay this? The payments on the 5th of each month will be d/d.

I would call the bank explain what happened & say you just can't afford a £30 charge for a mistake they made, normally they will refund as good will.

worth a try.

FlameInHell · 01/11/2007 10:34

I would have set it up 2 days later had I known

OP posts:
FlameInHell · 01/11/2007 10:35

The bank's crap - I got charged when DS was 2 days old because (unsurprisingly) I forgot to transfer the money, they said no way

Oh well, I know for next time

OP posts:
SenoraPostrophe · 01/11/2007 10:37

they usually ask for a credit card for the deposit and then set up the dd. It sounds like you were mis-informed.

I would complain to the insurance co - they should have made the payment dates clear. do it now because you have an official 7 day cooloing off period so could cancel all together (and they know this).

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.