My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find financial and money saving discussions including debt and pension chat on our Money forum.

Money matters

Crikey! My student loan statement has come through and written sneakily on the back....

36 replies

Skyler · 22/10/2007 19:45

is the fact that the interest rate is DOUBLEING from 2.4% to 4.8%!!!! Anyone else think that is blooming outrageous??!!!!
We are not in a position to pay it back at the moment so I guess that is the way it goes but I am shocked at the increase .

OP posts:
bookwormmum · 23/10/2007 15:09

25 years? Is that from the first year you take it from or the last?

In that case, I'm 9 years into mine being written off then .

Skyler · 23/10/2007 20:03

It is 25 years is it? Great. They run all the loans separately so it would be 25 years from the last loan I suppose. How odd someones interest was 3.6%. Are they all different then? I suppose they must be. 2.4% is the highest mine has been so the jump is big for me.

OP posts:
bookwormmum · 23/10/2007 20:19

A lot of the earlier loans have been sold off by the SLC - I had a letter years back telling me this when I'd only had one instalment paid to me! I suppose they sell the debts to finance the next lot of loans - maybe that's why the interest rates are not all the same .

Skyler · 24/10/2007 09:33

OH yes. Mine was sold I think , though all correspondance is still from SLC. I think NatWest have mine.....I really should pay more attention. I had to have the loans to live though so there was no option there and I have never earned enough to pay off so I kind of haven't paid much attention to them over the years.

OP posts:
Fizzylemonade · 24/10/2007 13:44

Although not widely advertised I am sure it is written off after 25 years as my older sister always earns just below the deferment amount. She happily sings a song about it being written off after 25 years

I know that they changed the loans after many years because people weren't earning enough money to be forced to pay it back (should have been a grant IMO)

My first loan was 1992.

spookthief · 24/10/2007 13:51

I pay mine off next month .

I stupidly defaulted by not deferring one year and it all spiralled into a nightmare. So even though I've never earned enough to have to pay it back I've had to through my own idiocy. Still, big weight off my mind.

Let that be a lesson to you all: always defer on time because if you miss it once they'll never automatically send you the form again so it's easier to miss it the second time.

Skyler · 24/10/2007 14:40

Oh well done Spooktheif! For paying it off not defaulting obv. I always planned to let it expire, but the new interest rate scares me. Still I am not in a position to make the payments at the moment so no decision to be made at the mo.

OP posts:
GreenGlassGoblin · 24/10/2007 14:59

I just had a nose at the student loans website(I'm so old mine was paid off years ago, but I always loathed the SLC and their glossy brochures...). The 25 year write off only applies if you took your loan out in or after 2006/7. Any loans taken out before that are written off at age 65. So don't go banking on the whole thing disappearing...

Skyler · 24/10/2007 15:10

Age 65. Hmm that sounds more like what I thought to be honest. Still if the rate of the amount of money I have to earn before I pay it back keeps rising as it has I will never be earning that much, even when I am 65

OP posts:
bookofthedeadmum · 25/10/2007 09:25

In that case then, I'm never going to pay mine off . I'd rather pay a mortgage off over 30 years than my student loan - I can't live in my loan!

I'll probably talk to dp about this before I decide though.

Skyler · 25/10/2007 09:50

I have to say I never had any intentions of paying it off . I could pay it if I stopped paying into my pension I suppose, but that is more important to me than clearing my student loan debt

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.