My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find financial and money saving discussions including debt and pension chat on our Money forum.

Money matters

jury service

10 replies

hifi · 11/09/2007 10:51

i have just been called up for jury service, whilst im investigating wether i have to go or not anyone got any quick advice? i have a 3 year old , two days nursery no other childcare do i have to go, deffered or exempt? i know i can only defer once but its unlikely ill be able to do it next year either.

OP posts:
HappyMummyOfOne · 11/09/2007 10:59

Can you other half book some holiday so that you can get it over and done with or can you extend your nursery hours to cover it?

Lilymaid · 11/09/2007 11:03

I was able to defer jury service when my DSs were little and I didn't have full time child care or relatives nearby. I wasn't called again for many years by which time my children were teenagers and we were living in a completely different area of the country.

mummytojess · 11/09/2007 11:09

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hifi · 11/09/2007 11:10

dh runs own business, would be very difficult, could use a babysitter but as i read it on info they only reemburse up to a £1 per hour . is this right?

OP posts:
LizP · 11/09/2007 11:19

Look here. Suggests you can claim nearly £30 for up to 4 hours service for expenses. Don't see why child care wouldn't be included. Is there not a number on the letter you can call and ask?

MellowMa · 11/09/2007 11:21

Message withdrawn

mankyscotslass · 11/09/2007 11:58

I deferred mine this year due to childcare issues. It has only been delayed for a year so next year will be doing it. DH possibly taknig parental leave, although we will be skint.

SoupDragon · 11/09/2007 12:07

I was excused (completely, not just deferred) a few years back for childcare reasons and stated that the situation was unlikely to change in the near future. It was easy.

Hallgerda · 11/09/2007 13:50

I too was excused recently on the grounds that I had no childcare - you don't have to go for a deferral.

hifi · 11/09/2007 14:10

thanks everyone, i think ill go for an exempt as dd is still going to be 2 days a week till next sept, already done it once.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.