My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find financial and money saving discussions including debt and pension chat on our Money forum.

Money matters

Has anyone employed an architect?

31 replies

Katymac · 03/03/2007 19:11

Or had any drawings done??

How much did it cost?

How much input did they have?

Was it easy/hard - any hints or tips?

TIA
KMc

OP posts:
Katymac · 06/03/2007 19:58

Jollymum - thank you DH for me

OP posts:
tissy · 07/03/2007 08:45

10%

I'm currently trying to work out if we can afford the repayments on the remortgage we are going to need . When the architct estimated how much it would all cost he told us around £50,000, which seemed OK to me, but of course, there's then the VAT and a bit extra for contingencies, and his 15%, so we are now looking at 80 grand. It will be lovely when finished, but we are looking at no summer holiday for the forseeable future, and camping in our dining room until it is all finished, which is estimated to be about three months in all!

ChocolateTeapot · 07/03/2007 08:56

Can I just stick my nose in a second ? I've had a quote for 800 for initial drawings, revised until we're happy with them, then £750 for detailed ones for building regs or something like that. I've got one more coming on Thursday but really liked the last one who quoted that. Whoever we have won't be managing the project, stupidly we are going to do that. Does that quote sound reasonable ?

zippitippitoes · 07/03/2007 08:58

if they know at the outset they are only doing pp drawings or building regs plans you may find that the designs are not brilliant for building ie not the easiest or even necessarily possible to build or not at a reasonable price

SmileysPeople · 07/03/2007 09:07

We had a quote from one architect who charged 10% for drawings and plans and then 15% if you want it managed.
This would have added another 5grand to our overall cost.
We were then recommended another architect by a friend who is charging £375 plus all plannning costs and structural engineering etc so will be about £1500 I think.
He won't mange it, but for that saving I'm prepared to have the hassle myself.

ChocolateTeapot · 07/03/2007 09:40

My quote sounds OK then. He doesn't do management only designs and has done a good job for a friend. Well the plans looked good, the finished product to be unveiled shortly!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.