My feed

to access all these features

Find financial and money saving discussions including debt and pension chat on our Money forum.

Money matters

returning faulty goods

8 replies

Babyramone · 04/02/2007 22:37

Hi, Last Sunday I bought a new 3G Buggyboard from Mothercare. I paid for it with my Switch. Anyway popped receipt in bag and it appears has been binned.
My problem is last night my DH was putting board back on pram (had removed to put pram in car)he was letting DS help when DS dropped board - Apparently not from any significant hight 3 year old waist on to carpet and pin (plastic) broke.
It's the pin which connects the board to the attachment on pram.
Board cost me £50 which I could hardly afford used last of my maternity for it.
Anyway what I want to know is as receipt has gone awol (annoying as I can find all receipts got recently) can I take it back. We think the pin shouldn't of broken so easily.
I have actually never taken much back so unsure of rights.
Just want to see if I can as can't afford another and really need as don't drive and shops quite far away.

OP posts:
bananaloaf · 04/02/2007 22:40

it will come up on you bank statement. if you have online banking then get it printed off and take to Mothercare. If that fails use the sale of good act 1976(i think) which allows you 7 years to claim that someting is not satisfactory and fit for purpose.

ChicPea · 04/02/2007 22:40

Can you show them a statement to demonstrate the transaction if needed and also if something is faulty, do you need a receipt? Maybe ring their head office and ask or the shop where you bought it? Good luck.

Aero · 04/02/2007 22:47

A bank statement is enough to prove purchase, but tbh, if it's mothercare, I'd expect them to believe me and change it for a new one. I'd probably give the store a call before-hand to explain what happened and that you've mislaid the receipt and check that they will exchange it - it would save time waiting for your ststement if you don't have online banking. I've done this with a few stores and it's never been a problem.

Babyramone · 04/02/2007 22:54

Thanks Everyone. Will give call in morning and explain. If awkward will wait for statement.
Can't believe lost receipt, have looked everywhere
Fingers crossed.

OP posts:
WanderingTrolley · 04/02/2007 23:18

You don't need the receipt at all if you are returning faulty goods.

See here

Summary from above:

Do I have to produce a receipt to claim my rights?

No. In fact the trader doesn't have to give you a receipt in the first place so it would be unfair to say that you had to produce one. However, it might not be unreasonable for the shop to want some proof of purchase, so look to see if you have a cheque stub, bank statement, credit card slip etc., and this should be sufficient.

Millarkie · 05/02/2007 00:17

We had a broken pin on our buggyboard (was broken when we opened the box). We rang the suppliers and they sent us a new pin so no need to return the whole thing.
Didn't get ours from mothercare though - was from cheeky rascals - they have a website and sell lots of buggyboard spare parts.

Babyramone · 05/02/2007 17:36

Hi Thanks to everyone for their advice. I took my board back to day and was exchanged right away. When I explained about not having receipt she told me no bother and informed me of their duty to exchange faulty good.
In all a pleasant experience.

OP posts:
Aero · 05/02/2007 20:45

Excellent - pleased to hear it.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.