My feed

to access all these features

Find financial and money saving discussions including debt and pension chat on our Money forum.

Money matters

What is the simplest and cheapest way to make a will?

11 replies

schnapps · 22/10/2006 22:26

I don't have any money/life insurance/property etc, I simply want to state who I request that my child is looked after in the event of my death. What is the simplest and cheapest way to do this?

OP posts:
Skribble · 22/10/2006 22:33

There is a will pack like this in WH Smith and Tescos.

I am sure you can write your own document and get it witnessed but you would have to check exactly what you need to do to make it legal.

Snowstorm · 22/10/2006 22:39

Perhaps if you get one of those packs that Skribble linked you to and then get your signature on it witnessed by a solicitor (I'm sure the pack will tell you what you need to do though)? DH paid £5 for this to be done recently, although I gather some solicitors charge £10.

schnapps · 22/10/2006 22:44

Thank you for the replies. Will take a look

OP posts:
Skribble · 22/10/2006 22:50

My PIL wrote their will themselves and got it witnessed by friends, Scottish law perhaps but no solicitor required.

Skribble · 22/10/2006 22:51

Again I don't know if it Scottish but solictors were doing an offer on wills along with a charity cost about £20.

LadyMuck · 22/10/2006 23:01

If your only intention is to name a guardian then you needn't actually make a will, as the main purpose of the will is to settle your estate (ie your property). I would inform close family of your wishes, and write a letter to that effect, and get it witnessed by some friends. But in the event that you die whilst your children are still minors, then I believe the courts eventually have to get involved (as well as social services needing to be happy with the outcome).

That said, I still would advise doing a will - even if you have no money now, that may change.

schnapps · 23/10/2006 10:33

I had a look at the whsmith one and it does seem to be concerned with property only. But infortunatley it's more complicated than just letting family members know my wishes. It is possible that more than one set of people would want to have my child live with them (not neccessarily for the right reasons) and I want to ensure that my child does not end up with one particular set of people. Don't really want to go into it too much but it's to do with past abuse of another family member.

OP posts:
Snowstorm · 23/10/2006 10:43

Schnapps - why don't you re-name this thread or create a new one so that it hopefully catches the attention of someone with legal knowledge relating to guardianship of your child in the event of your death, as at the moment it looks more like a straightforward question about writing a Will and with a few answers on it, it might look as though it's been answered.

blueshoes · 23/10/2006 11:15

schnapps, if you are concerned about guardianship, even if you put your wishes in a will, the guardian(s) you name are not legally obliged to take up that role (though they would of course feel morally obliged, esp if you discussed it with them previously).

By all means put it in writing (will or otherwise), they will be a good reference point as to what you feel are in your los' best interests. But bear in mind your wishes are probably not legally enforceable.

m5lfh · 27/10/2014 12:25

Sometimes it's hard for people to see why it's relevant to make a will, and only when things go wrong it is far too late! There is no quick way and online solutions can cost you more in the long term. This site really helped when I had to deal with my will and also when a loved one died and I did not know where to turn.
It helped me to be better informed in making decisions for my family.

500smiles · 27/10/2014 12:33

Reported spam

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.