My feed

to access all these features

Find financial and money saving discussions including debt and pension chat on our Money forum.

Money matters

Lawyer or Solicitor..whats the difference?

3 replies

Charlottesweb · 17/07/2006 23:46

Is it one of them goes to court and the other doesn't? or is is two different names for the same profession? Just wondering, that's all

OP posts:
hulababy · 17/07/2006 23:48

A lawyer is the generic term for either a solicitor or a barrister.

A barrister goes to court - he/she is the advocate.

A solicitor works more directly (on the whole) with clients, although can do some advocay work as well.

Both train for similar length of time and entry requirements are also similar.

fattiemumma · 17/07/2006 23:57

the solicitor does the mostly boreing behind the scenes, chasing up paperwork sort of stuff..

Barrister is the one in the wig and robes who stand up in front of the judge and get to play at being very clever and knowledgable...very theatrical.

or at least, thast what mine are like

Charlottesweb · 18/07/2006 22:05

Thankyou That's cleared it up for me Now I can think about other pointless things tomorrow

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.