My feed

to access all these features

Find financial and money saving discussions including debt and pension chat on our Money forum.

Money matters

Do tax credits go up or down if you become single?

4 replies

zephyrcat · 12/05/2006 17:50

Trying to help a friend work out her situation and tax credits confuse me completely!!

OP posts:
winnie · 12/05/2006 18:23

Do you mean she has become a single parent?

FrayedKnot · 12/05/2006 18:56

I think they are dependent on total household income so in theory if for e.g. your friend's partner has moved out then her partner's income will no longer be included, and any child maintenance paid to her is not included as income.

So in theory, she would get more. is the site where you can work it all out.

zephyrcat · 12/05/2006 19:00

They are on the verge of splitting up and have 2 children. She only has her partners income so will have nothing else coming in - she asked me about income support as well but i've never claimed it so something else I'm clueless about!! Have directed her to to see if she can figure it out!!

OP posts:
winnie · 12/05/2006 22:11

child support is taken into account if claiming income support; on top of income support she will get child tax credits for the children, housing benefit and council tax benefit, free prescriptions, & free school meals.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.