My feed

to access all these features

Find financial and money saving discussions including debt and pension chat on our Money forum.

Money matters

Sure Start Maternity Grant

13 replies

goingbydifname · 29/01/2006 19:44

Does anyone know if my DH and I would qualify for this, have scanned websites but am just getting confused.

Our circumstances:

DH - Earns 25,000 grand
Me - On stat maternity pay

We do not claim any other benefits.

OP posts:
jessicaandrebeccasmummy · 29/01/2006 19:47

i dont think so.... you need to be on tax credits of a certain amount a week/other benefits.

You have up until baby is 3 motnhs old to claim, so would be worth checking what your tax credits are going to be......

MerlinsBeard · 29/01/2006 19:50

You are eligible for a Sure Start Maternity Grant if you or your partner are getting Income Support, income-based Jobseeker?s Allowance, Pension Credit, Working Tax Credit where a disability or severe disability element is included in the award or Child Tax Credit at a rate higher than the family element.

from the dwp website here....
sure start info

from quickly scanning it i doubt u r eligible

vickiyumyum · 29/01/2006 19:52

don't think you are at the moment, but as j&r'smummy says, worth applying for wftc straight after baby is born and then if you are eligible claiming for it as its £500!!!

expatinscotland · 29/01/2006 19:52


goingbydifname · 29/01/2006 19:52

I thought so, just was getting confused re the tax credits at higher rate to family element, wasn't sure what the family element was all about.

OP posts:
Surfermum · 29/01/2006 19:52

You have to be in receipt of a certain level of tax credits. I can't remember how much off the top of my head but am desperately trying to find a previous thread I put it on!

expatinscotland · 29/01/2006 19:54

Think it's about £1500+ for Child Tax Credit. don't quote me, tho.

1980cat · 29/01/2006 19:57

If you only have one child and no disablity beinfits you'd only get the family element of Tax credits with 25000 income.

bonkerz · 29/01/2006 20:01

I am in similar circumstances regarding wages as you and we have just got it. We had to wait till our daughter was born to claim it though and you have to be on OVER £548.00per year tax credit to claim. Before our DD was bron we were on only £547.50 but we were put on higher rate due to having a baby under one! Print off the form from the website and apply as soon as you have had baby, there is a form at back that you can get midwife to sign when you are in hospital after baby is born. You then take form to local job center. On extra notes write that you have informed tax credits of change in circumstances and have been advised you will be on higher family element (this is what i wrote) I got a payment into my bank of £500 within the week!! GOODLUCK!!!! Even if they say no, you have lost nothing by applying.

print this off and take into hospital for midwife to sign

Surfermum · 29/01/2006 20:05

Can't find the thread, but found the info! You have to be receiving tax credits of £548 a year or more or £1096 or more if you have a baby under 1.

1980cat · 29/01/2006 20:07

You have to be getting more than the family element or the family and baby element if you read the page mumofmonsters linked to. So if you were just getting the higher rate because if the baby element you won't be entitled.

starshaker · 29/01/2006 20:14

you need to wait till you get your award otherwise they will just say you dont qualify. i applied the same time as for tax cred and because the tax cred wasnt processed i had to fill in the form again when i found out i did qualify

bonkerz · 29/01/2006 20:25

my tax credit claimed hadnt been processed when i recieved my grant!!!!!apply, what do you have to lose!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.