My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our Book Swap forum to share and exchange your favourite books.

MN book swap clubs

TART BOOK CLUB - The House at Riverton, Kate Morton

5 replies

YouLukaSimplyAmazing · 08/09/2009 19:14

I read this book a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. It was a simple yet thoroughly pleasurable read.

I became genuinely interested in the characters and was always disappointed when I had to put the book down. I didn't want the book to end - and yet I now don't really remember much about it at all!!!

I'd like to re read it to discover how I feel about it now, and to find out whether I was just reading it in a breastfeeding hormonal haze, which enhanced my pleasure, or if those same hormones caused me to wipe clean from my addled brain cells a genuinely great book.

So I'm looking forward to hearing how you all feel about it, and then re reading it - if you all reckon it's worth it.

Enjoy - Hope it's not a complete blooper!

OP posts:
AstronomyDomine · 09/09/2009 10:04

Loved it just because it was an "easy" read and I agree what you say about character interest, fabulous.

Read it again - I was NOT in a breastfeeding hormonal haze when I read and I loved it.

FiveGoMadInDorset · 15/09/2009 11:20

Well I managd to read it this time, the first time I gave up after 3 pages, but stick with it. It is ok, not the best book but definitely not the worst.

I did find it overlong and waffly, she managed on occasion to say in 10 word what 5 will do and probably better. And I also felt it was a combination of Gosford Park, Atonement, and Titanic which did put me off as was comparing it to all three.

On a very harsh note, surely there are lost of things in Australia that she could write about rather than the english aristocracy and I also found her research a bit iffy, for example, there wasn't a ban on guns in the 1920's (as there is now on handguns) but licences were introduced.

The plot was also see through but for all that it wasn't bad but I don't think I will read it again.

MamaG · 22/11/2009 13:36

Just tidying up, we have two threads

By thegrowlygus Sat 07-Nov-09 07:51:47
Really? Slated? Oh no! I really liked it! But then I do often like rubbish... blush
Add message | Report | Contact poster By bluebump Wed 04-Nov-09 17:40:36
I liked this book too but I remember it got a real slating on here when I looked for reviews! Good job I read the book first as after the reviews I may not have picked it up! smile
Add message | Report | Contact poster By thegrowlygus Tue 03-Nov-09 20:00:55
Do you know - I loved this book! Even though it is one of those irritating "i am narrating and know something you don't know" kind of business going on books I still really really loved it.

The era was so beautifully evoked and the characters.

Thanks whoever started this one off. I am not sure it is one I would've read otherwise.

MamaG · 22/11/2009 13:37

By thegrowlygus Sat 07-Nov-09 07:51:47
Really? Slated? Oh no! I really liked it! But then I do often like rubbish... blush

by bluebump Wed 04-Nov-09 17:40:36
I liked this book too but I remember it got a real slating on here when I looked for reviews! Good job I read the book first as after the reviews I may not have picked it up! smile

by thegrowlygus Tue 03-Nov-09 20:00:55
Do you know - I loved this book! Even though it is one of those irritating "i am narrating and know something you don't know" kind of business going on books I still really really loved it.

The era was so beautifully evoked and the characters.

Thanks whoever started this one off. I am not sure it is one I would've read otherwise.

MamaG · 22/11/2009 13:38

bugger.

anyway.

Just finished it and I really enjoyed it too - agree the plot was a bit see through in places. I had a few "well,dur" moments!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.