My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find support and share your experiences on our Miscarriage forum.

Miscarriage/pregnancy loss

Scared to death..please advise?

14 replies

Sares28 · 24/03/2010 18:30

Hi, this is my first post but have been reading old discussions to try to get some perspective. I'm 11 weeks pregnant and for the last week have had bright red bleeding, nothing heavy but basically like the start of a period, never progressing any further though. I am due for a scan tomorrow after begging my midwife - I had had a one off light bleed nearly three weeks ago. GP and midwife saying bleeding could be due to my cervical erosion which I had been due to have cauterised before falling pregnant.

I haven't slept properly for days, as I have realised that my pregnancy symptoms - exhaustion and sore boobs, never had any morning sickness this time - seem to have stopped. Reading all the posts has convinced me the scan will be bad news tomorrow. Has anybody been through similar symptoms with a positive outcome? I so can't bear to read anything sad right now, its making me crazy.

OP posts:
cake4ever · 24/03/2010 18:37

Hi Sares, I'm so sorry you're going through this and I understand how scared you must be. I don't have any advice I'm afraid but didn't want your post to go unanswered. I'm sure someone will post in a moment who can give you some proper advice.

I would say just hang on in there until tomorrow and look after yourself tonight. Hope partner can give you lots of support so that you can take it easy.

Take care

luckywinner · 24/03/2010 18:40

Sares, symptoms can start to tail off around 11 weeks. How was your last scan? I have had bleeds at exactly the same time with both my successful pregnancies if that is of any reassurance. I am glad you are having a scan tomorrow just to put your mind at rest. Will be thinking of you.

Pancakeflipper · 24/03/2010 18:41

It's hellish isn't it? I hope all does go well tomorrow.

Bleeding in pregnancy can mean many things and as you say you have a reason to bleed so hold onto the hope.

Good luck. Please let us know how things go - people do wonder you know.... Just one more sleep.....

GrumpyFish · 24/03/2010 18:43

Hi, sorry don't have much advice but just wanted to wish you luck for tomorrow. Both times that I have had bleeding in pregnancy did turn into miscarriage BUT my bleeding always turned quickly to heavy / clotty / cramping (so was much more full on that what you are describing). I know that the EPU assured me that many people do have even heavy bleeding and it still turns out fine, and I have a friend in RL who had weeks of period type bleeding but now has a very healthy 5 year old. You're also right at the stage where your pg symptoms would be going anyway, so try not to worry about that. IIRC, I once read that bleeding between 10-12 weeks is often caused by the placenta moving up, ready for the next stage. Hope it all turns out well for you, if you look at the stats, bleeding in pregnancy does not by any means always mean bad news.

BelleDeChocolateFluffyBunny · 24/03/2010 18:47

I agree with pancake, bleeding can have alot of causes, if you are not having any pain then this is really positive, you could just have a little bruise on the placenta area which will just go by itsef and doesn't mean that there's anything that's a concern ahead. I didn't have morning sickness when I was pregnant either, I did throw up when I ate too much though but that was it, I had a little bleeding aswell but ds is a healthy 10 year old so please try not to panic. The sonographer will tell you tomorrow if there's been any bleeding around the placenta site, it's a huge area so it can be normal to have a little bleeding. Sometimes there's no cause at all, it doesn't mean you won't have a healthy baby.

Tyson86 · 24/03/2010 18:51

Im 12 weeks today and about 11 weeks my symptoms subsided apart from the damned morning sickness, hope tomorrow goes ok for you.

lucykate · 24/03/2010 18:54

i have been through similar, and had both a positive outcome and also a miscarriage. with dd, my first pregnancy, i bled till 23 weeks, most of which was unexplained. in the early days, it was due to the placenta tearing away inside slightly. dd was fine and the rest of the pregnancy went fine. after that, i had bleeding off and on next time round too, early scan at 8 weeks went well, but by 11 weeks, at the next scan, the heart had stopped. it's so difficult to say whether early bleeding will be ok or not, at least you have a scan tomorrow so not long to wait. good luck and i hope things go well.

Sares28 · 24/03/2010 20:05

Thanks so much for the support, I will try to stay positive and just keep going until tomorrow afternoon. I'm trying not to worry my partner or friends too much so it has been a relief to be able to say how I'm feeling.At least theres only one more night of insomnia before I find out what's what..

OP posts:
kissmummy · 24/03/2010 21:23

hi there, so sorry to hear you are going through this. i don't like the sound of your symptoms but i do have a close friend who bled heavily through the whole of her first trimester. Both she and I were convinced she had lost the baby every time it happened. in her case it was heavy enough to be like a period. her little boy is now 9 months old. so all may not be lost. at least tomorrow you'll have some answers - the uncertainty is one of the most painful things to experience. please let us all know how it goes as we'll be watching out for your news, and be there to support you whatever happens

lucykate · 25/03/2010 20:53

sares, how did the scan go?

Sares28 · 26/03/2010 10:39

Hi, just to let you know, the scan was not good news. It seems that my baby stopped growing at about 5 1/2 weeks. The worst thing was seeing my partner's face when the sonographer told us things weren't good.

To top it off, we then had a doctor come to talk to us - she helpfully said that just because there was no heartbeat, I still had a 5 week old foetus and that we could have a scan next week to see if it grows, then take it from there.She seemed surprised that we had been told it was bad news by the sonographer - it was honestly like a bad joke. The fact that our pregnancy test was positive seven weeks ago and that I have had bleeding, stomach pains and my pregnancy symptoms have vanished seemed an irrelevance to her. I'm still wondering why she wanted to give us false hope? It seems so cruel.

OP posts:
Pancakeflipper · 26/03/2010 15:59

I was so hoping to find you posting happy news. It's like a horrible dream isn't it?

Just take each day at a time and let yourself be angry/ cross etc... Take care and I am so sorry for you.

LunaticFringe · 26/03/2010 20:02

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

kissmummy · 26/03/2010 21:52

hi sares28 - i'm so sorry. i'm almost as angry as i am sorry. What was the doctor talking about? If you were 11 weeks pregnant according to your dates, and sure of your dates, and the sonographer could only see an embryo measuring 5.5 weeks, and there was no heartbeat, how on earth could the doctor suggest there was some hope? this strikes me as the most grotesque medical ignorance. of course we on mumsnet don't know all the facts - for example, if there was some doubt about your dates, or there is some other information you haven't shared with us- but on the basis of what you've said here, there was no grounds whatsoever for this doctor to suggest there might still be hope and that you should leave it a week and come back for another scan. as you've said, this only added to your confusion and distress. at some point (not now, as you have enough to cope with already) i would fire off a formal complaint. For now, i hope you're able to focus on taking care of yourself as best you can. if this was your first miscarriage,then there is every hope that this is a dreadful one off and the next one will be absolutely fine, when you're ready to try again.x

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.