My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find support and share your experiences on our Miscarriage forum.

Miscarriage/pregnancy loss

Panicing- first period after miscarriage and huge clots

8 replies

engelbart · 06/04/2009 15:20

I posted on here last month about my miscarriage at 7/8 weeks. I had a scan to confirm there was no tissue left about 4 weeks ago (there wasn't) and have been trying to put this whole sad event behind me, even to the extent of trying to conceive again. I thought physically I was better until I got my period last night. Started off light and was fine up until this afternoon when I went to the loo and passed a huge clot, lots of heavy bleeding. Have just been to the loo again and there was so much blood/clots that my bathroom floor was running in blood. Had a bath and i now no what the phrase "bloodbath" means. . Just passed another clot and the bleeding seems to be easing off. I did a google search and read that it's pretty 'normal' to pass clots with your first period. Is it? I don't understand how a scan could say there was no tissue left and pregnancy tests have shown a negative and yet there was so much left inside of me.

OP posts:
HeadFairy · 06/04/2009 15:25

Sorry about your miscarriage

I think like the most frustrating parts of any ttc process it's probably different for each person and each mc. I have had two mcs and each time the first period afterwards has been different. The first one was quite light, but I'd been bleeding for two weeks before I finally mc'd and after the mc itself I didn't bleed much at all. I didn't bleed at all before the next mc, then what I'd consider a normal amount for a mc but my first period afterwards was a shocker. I bleed very heavily for two days.

Not being an expert I would say to see how things go, if it slows down and you don't feel unwell or develop a fever then accept it as a good clean out of your uterine lining. After my latest mc I took some iron supplements for a few days (I used spatone) to help me get back on my feet and feel a bit more human because I felt so washed out. HTH x

engelbart · 06/04/2009 15:30

Thanks for sharing your experiences HeadFairy and sorry that you too have been through this. The heavy bleeding and passing of the clots have brought it all back just when I thought I was getting back on my feet again. I have to somehow try and leave the house without leaving a trail of blood behind to buy some pads. At least I'm not at work today, god knows how I would have coped.

OP posts:
HeadFairy · 06/04/2009 15:34

Do you have to leave the house? Can you hibernate for the day? I can highly recommend the spatone, it did make me feel a lot better, I was totally washed out and run down.

I tried to make myself think of it as a good clean out getting my uterus ready for the next bean. Ok so I've had several good clean outs now and no bean, but you know what I mean

engelbart · 06/04/2009 15:42

I do know what you mean HeadFairy. I hope we both get a very sticky bean soon, I would love to be able to post somewhere other than here, childbirth for example . I guess I could just keep stuffing my knickers with kitchen towel or try and get DH to get me some pads on his way home. Was meant to be having a night off alcohol tonight but somehow I can't see that happening now.

OP posts:
HeadFairy · 06/04/2009 16:00

pah, wine was made for moments like these

Seriously though, I hope you manage to get pg again soon. Had you been trying long? Do you have any other dcs?

engelbart · 06/04/2009 16:05

I hope you manage to get pregnant soon too HeadFairy, I recognise your name from a conception thread which I've been following, but not posting on. It would be nice if we both get to go on a pregnancy thread soon.

I really thought I could be pregnant this month and even went as far as doing 2 pregnancy tests, both negative of course. I kept reading/hearing that people who've had a miscarriage are more fertile etc. Now I think it would have been impossible to get pregnant with all the clots still inside me...

Have been trying since September. Feel pathetic as dh and I spent ages deciding whether to try for another baby (we have a dd who is 3) and when we finally decided to go for it this happens.

OP posts:
HeadFairy · 06/04/2009 16:14

Thanks

Please don't feel pathetic at all... a friend of mine has a theory that she alternates miscarriages with full term babies (she's been pregnant 10 times now and has 5 children) because there's something left over from the previous baby. I have no idea what she thinks is left over, but she almost automatically discounts the first pregnancy after she's had a baby (not that she's having any more ) Hey, it's a theory!

I'm kind of about the claims that you are more fertile after a mc. I think people are just trying harder to get pg, paying closer attention to their cycle and bding more often. Or something. My GP was very doubtful there was anything in it too. And to be honest I've found it better to not think of things like that, because you're only so bitterly disappointed when it turns out to not be true for you. When I had an HSG everyone said "oh you'll get pg straight away, everyone does" and I was devastated when I didn't. Best to think of your odds being the same each time.

I was absolutely convinced I was pg last month, so much so I bought tests (I have a rule of never having them in the house, the only way to avoid any weakness and early testing, swiftly followed by disappointment at bfn). Of course I wasn't, I do wish our bodies wouldn't play those tricks on us!

HeadFairy · 06/04/2009 16:15

oops, I accidentally deleted a bit... meant to say thanks I hope you get pg soon too.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.