My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find support and share your experiences on our Miscarriage forum.

Miscarriage/pregnancy loss

How long till you had a negative pregnancy test

13 replies

Rainbowpeanut02 · 16/11/2023 22:07

Hi everyone, I had a MMC at 7+3 but found out at my 8+3 scan. I wanted the removal process to happen naturally and luckily it pretty much happened straight away. I’m still bleeding and cramping a little bit and it’s been 7 days. How long does the bleeding last? And how long did it take to get a negative pregnancy test?

OP posts:
Longbarn5 · 16/11/2023 23:51

Hi there, I had a negative in less than two weeks but I did have surgical removal so a bit quicker.

Jadex92x · 17/11/2023 12:08

Hi , sorry for your loss, I miscarried at 7 weeks as well but found out at a scan when I was meant to be 11+3. I took tablets on the 7th of this month, passed the sac on the 8th and stopped bleeding yesterday. Took a pregnancy test this morning and its very faint .

Rainbowpeanut02 · 17/11/2023 13:12

@Longbarn5 I originally asked to do it naturally but then decided to go down the surgical route as I heard that it’s common to have surgery later on to make sure everything is clear. But when I went for my check up I found out that I passed everything naturally and have a few blood clots remaining. So far I’ve been bleeding for 9 days but the bleeding now is very very light so I’m hoping I can test next week to check that I’m negative. Has your cycle gone back to normal? Did it take long to receive your cycle?

@Jadex92x I’m sorry for your loss, I feel as though nothing prepares you for the news that you’ve had a MC. I went in randomly as I saw some pink discharge and wanted to get it checked out to be on the safe side. That’s how I found out the news, and the bleeding started that night. I found out on the 8th, passed the sac on the 12th but now I think the bleeding is coming to an end. I’m hoping to get the negative next week so we can try again. Kind of bittersweet isn’t it?

OP posts:
Jadex92x · 17/11/2023 16:39

@Rainbowpeanut02 it's devastating 😢 I went in for a scan as when I wiped there was a little pinkish blood then to be told the baby stopped growing 4 weeks earlier I was shocked and couldn't believe it. I had been for a scan at 6 weeks and seen the heartbeat as well which I think made it even sadder. I didn't even want to flush the sac down the toilet, my partner ended up flushung it for me. That's what I'm hoping for as well , I have been doing pregnancy and ovulation tests for the past couple of days. I'm hoping I ovulate soon , I just want to be pregnant again 😩 hope you get your negative soon . X

Longbarn5 · 17/11/2023 20:13

Rainbowpeanut02 · 17/11/2023 13:12

@Longbarn5 I originally asked to do it naturally but then decided to go down the surgical route as I heard that it’s common to have surgery later on to make sure everything is clear. But when I went for my check up I found out that I passed everything naturally and have a few blood clots remaining. So far I’ve been bleeding for 9 days but the bleeding now is very very light so I’m hoping I can test next week to check that I’m negative. Has your cycle gone back to normal? Did it take long to receive your cycle?

@Jadex92x I’m sorry for your loss, I feel as though nothing prepares you for the news that you’ve had a MC. I went in randomly as I saw some pink discharge and wanted to get it checked out to be on the safe side. That’s how I found out the news, and the bleeding started that night. I found out on the 8th, passed the sac on the 12th but now I think the bleeding is coming to an end. I’m hoping to get the negative next week so we can try again. Kind of bittersweet isn’t it?

Hi there, not too sure yet, since it has only been a couple of weeks so I am just trying to catch my ovulation peek

KCSIE · 17/11/2023 20:56

Sorry for your loss 😔 each of my MC have been different in terms of duration and emotional toll but the same in terms of spontaneity, none of mine were MMC.

First one at 8w bled for about 4 days then still positive 3 weeks later. Then suddenly negative.

Second at 9.5w bled about 10 days, took a little under 3 weeks for negative test.

Third one 6w shortest bleed 4 days but took over 7 weeks for a negative pregnancy test. I was sent for scans and blood tests to check MC was complete or for unknown location or retained tissue etc.

I have 2 beautiful rainbow babies to give you some hope though, my last successful pregnancy required taking progesterone to maintain it though to avoid another MC when bleeding started.

You're also more fertile after any pregnancy, for when you're feeling emotionally ready...

Good luck in your journey, they should teach more about the difficulties and the emotional toll in schools. I just totally was unprepared for any of them.

Virtual hugs ❤️

Rainbowpeanut02 · 17/11/2023 21:02

@Longbarn5 I hope you catch your peak soon! I hate the waiting game, but I must admit I do like checking my progress. This year my cycles have been really irregular so I find OPK’s very useful to me.

@Jadex92x I had the exact same thing you! A little bit of pink discharge and that’s when I heard the news. I am very lucky as it’s very easy to get an appoint with my OB and saw her an hour after I had seen it and that’s when I found out. I think I just sat there numb, just trying to digest what happened and just praying she was wrong, but she called in a 2nd OB and that’s when I realized I had a MC. I can’t help it, but I’ve also been doing pregnancy and ovulation tests and there’s still a line on the pregnancy test but it’s lighter than a few days earlier but still pretty clear. Hope you also hit your peak soon and you get the all clear to TTC 🌺💕

OP posts:
Rainbowpeanut02 · 17/11/2023 21:10

@KCSIE Hi!! I am so sorry for your loss, I cannot imagine how that must have felt. I feel as though some people understand the pain but many people don’t. I must admit, I knew of people who went through an MC but until I had one myself that’s when I truly knew how it feels.

It does seem as though it takes a long time for the body to reset its hormones back down to normal and seems as though each person is different in terms of timing. I guess all I can do is keep testing and hopefully soon I will get that negative test. I think it will be such a bittersweet moment.

Thank you though, for giving us hope, I know it will happen but I am so scared in case i have another MC, I will be a big bag of nerves. I’m sure for yourself it must have been such a joyous time to be pregnant but I cannot imagine, the stress and anxiety you might have gone through at the same time.

OP posts:
Winnipeggy · 17/11/2023 21:27

Hi, so sorry. For me it was a really long process unfortunately. It took 2 attempts with the medication to no avail and nearly 2 months of bleeding with one emergency a&e trip. I'm sorry I know it's not what you want to hear and it definitely does not happen like that for everyone. Have you passed the sac do you think?

KCSIE · 17/11/2023 21:46

@Rainbowpeanut02 You can't 'un-experience' MC so unfortunately the anxiety is always there, but you do settle in to it, if that makes any sense? It does ease with time! And the excitement is still there with each time you first find out about a new pregnancy and reach the milestones that accompany that, too 🥰 My 2nd MC was my most emotionally tough to recover from and still makes me cry to think of it and how I coped after, weirdly. On paper it looks like the last one should have been my hardest but I think I just tuned it out by then, a coping mechanism perhaps.

The negative test after a MC is definitely a bittersweet relief though, it's almost like acceptance and the permission to try again rolled into one.

Hopefully it won't happen again for you and the next time will be all joy.

There was (probably still is) a very supportive community on here of TTC after MC if you're ready for that.

Rainbowpeanut02 · 19/11/2023 16:38

Winnipeggy · 17/11/2023 21:27

Hi, so sorry. For me it was a really long process unfortunately. It took 2 attempts with the medication to no avail and nearly 2 months of bleeding with one emergency a&e trip. I'm sorry I know it's not what you want to hear and it definitely does not happen like that for everyone. Have you passed the sac do you think?

Hi, I'm so sorry for your loss and the process you had to go through. I can imagine that to be unbearably tough. Yes I believe i have passed the sac, I guess, I'm just waiting for the all clear. Today has been the first day of no bleedings so hoping the negative can come soon.

OP posts:
HerbaceousPerennial · 20/11/2023 11:57

Hi @Rainbowpeanut02, I had a MMC 6 weeks ago and medical management 5 weeks ago. I’m still testing very, very faintly positive and my EPU had me back in last week to see why. I do unfortunately have a tiny bit of retained tissue which I know means it may be a while until I test negative and can try again. I was so upset when I found out - I had been consoling myself with the idea I could try again quickly as I’m desperate to be pregnant again, and now I will have to wait a bit longer. But the last few days I have come to think that actually maybe I need this time to process things a bit, and get in a better headspace for trying again, whenever that will be. So I wanted to share this in case it helps, if you don’t get your negative as fast as you hope. But I very much hope that you do!

Rainbowpeanut02 · 20/11/2023 12:36

HerbaceousPerennial · 20/11/2023 11:57

Hi @Rainbowpeanut02, I had a MMC 6 weeks ago and medical management 5 weeks ago. I’m still testing very, very faintly positive and my EPU had me back in last week to see why. I do unfortunately have a tiny bit of retained tissue which I know means it may be a while until I test negative and can try again. I was so upset when I found out - I had been consoling myself with the idea I could try again quickly as I’m desperate to be pregnant again, and now I will have to wait a bit longer. But the last few days I have come to think that actually maybe I need this time to process things a bit, and get in a better headspace for trying again, whenever that will be. So I wanted to share this in case it helps, if you don’t get your negative as fast as you hope. But I very much hope that you do!

@HerbaceousPerennial Hi! I’m very sorry for your loss, thank you for sharing your story with me, its never a nice feeling having to go through this. I had a check up last Wednesday to see how everything is clearing up, and it looks like I passed the sac and main elements. I originally went in because I wanted the D&C procedure and just didn’t want to wait for it to happen as it looked like it was taking it’s time but was advised against it as I had passed a lot of the tissue. I have a follow up on Sunday to see how things are, my doc is lovely and is extending everything so as not to rush me going back to work as my work can be quite demanding when it comes to time off. So far this is the 2nd day of no bleeding but tested yesterday and there’s still a positive but it’s fainter than before.

i can imagine it to be upsetting to find out there’s still residual tissue, to be honest, I’m preparing myself to hear that news on Sunday. I am completely the same, I’ve been consoling myself with the idea that I can try again straight away but waiting for the go ahead to do so. But you know, now that I may be near the bridge to try again, I already feel defeated, it’s so strange. I was so excited to try again but now I’m here, I keep thinking what if I have another MC? What if I don’t fall pregnant this cycle?

I think I am the same as you in which, I want to try again but I think I need to take this time not just to heal physically but also emotionally and mentally. I guess its better to walk and not run this race.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.