My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find support and share your experiences on our Miscarriage forum.

Miscarriage/pregnancy loss

Ovulation sticks

6 replies

Lithgow2000 · 15/11/2023 15:43

Hi

I lost my baby at 14 weeks. It will be 3 weeks on Saturday.

I have some questions if anyone can help.

So, people have told me online that I should take a pregnancy test 3 weeks after to check that it's negative. I'm only a few days away from that.

I had very strong ovulation type symptoms so thought I'd check just incase but the sticks have been stuck on positive for days. It must be picking up the pregnancy hormones.

My question is, are ovulation sticks move sensitive to pregnancy tests? I'm now worried the test won't show as negative on Saturday and there's some kind of retained product.

I don't know if I can face the emotional impact of looking at a negative pregnancy test. I don't know if I'll be able to check on Saturday.

Thanks x

OP posts:
PinkRoses1245 · 15/11/2023 18:22

sory for your loss. If you’re still testing positive on pregnancy test, you can’t be ovulating. I had all sorts of weird symptoms after MC. It’s so hard but you do need to have a negative test. I found it upsetting but also it allowed me to move forward.

13lucy · 15/11/2023 18:24

@Lithgow2000 So sorry for your loss. I had retained products and also had positive OPKs because of this. I was also doing pregnancy tests to check and you're right, it is really hard seeing the tests fade .

For me, pregnancy tests were fairly faint when OPKs were pretty much positive. However the pregnancy test didn't get to negative until a week after MVA to remove retained products.

Lithgow2000 · 15/11/2023 19:12

PinkRoses1245 · 15/11/2023 18:22

sory for your loss. If you’re still testing positive on pregnancy test, you can’t be ovulating. I had all sorts of weird symptoms after MC. It’s so hard but you do need to have a negative test. I found it upsetting but also it allowed me to move forward.

Sorry if I explained poorly. I haven't checked a pregnancy test. I'm just wondering if it's likely a pregnancy test would be positive if an ovulation test is

OP posts:
Lithgow2000 · 15/11/2023 19:13

13lucy · 15/11/2023 18:24

@Lithgow2000 So sorry for your loss. I had retained products and also had positive OPKs because of this. I was also doing pregnancy tests to check and you're right, it is really hard seeing the tests fade .

For me, pregnancy tests were fairly faint when OPKs were pretty much positive. However the pregnancy test didn't get to negative until a week after MVA to remove retained products.

I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I'm desperately trying to avoid having to go for any more treatment so this is what I've been dreading 😞 not helped by the fact I wasn't even told to check for this

OP posts:
CluelessInLondon · 16/11/2023 09:27

@Lithgow2000 I'm so sorry for your loss. OPKs can pick up HCG so that can skew the results, which might be what's happening with yours. It's not always a sign of retained products though, some women just take longer to clear the HCG from their system than others, and as yours was a second trimester loss it might take a bit longer - take a pregnancy test at 3 weeks and call your local EPU/EGU if it's positive, they may want to scan you to check what's going on or they might tell you to wait a little bit longer and test again. Did you have treatment in the hospital for your miscarriage? If so, I'm really surprised you weren't told to take a pregnancy test a few weeks later.

Lithgow2000 · 16/11/2023 11:26

CluelessInLondon · 16/11/2023 09:27

@Lithgow2000 I'm so sorry for your loss. OPKs can pick up HCG so that can skew the results, which might be what's happening with yours. It's not always a sign of retained products though, some women just take longer to clear the HCG from their system than others, and as yours was a second trimester loss it might take a bit longer - take a pregnancy test at 3 weeks and call your local EPU/EGU if it's positive, they may want to scan you to check what's going on or they might tell you to wait a little bit longer and test again. Did you have treatment in the hospital for your miscarriage? If so, I'm really surprised you weren't told to take a pregnancy test a few weeks later.

Thank you! Yes I arrived at hopsital in labour and had the baby there. They gave me a medication to help pass everything but I didn't get any follow up advice. I assumed that meant everything was ok. It happened during shift change time so I was bounced around so many different people which I don't think helped

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.